XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. 2IRS

2IRS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for your effort :)
    There's a link to the soundcloud of the song in my initial post but here it is again: https://soundcloud.com/grey-scale/zere-greyscale-sepia
    Unfortunately, I can't provide any more than that. It occured many more times to different songs and kinds of music, but unfortunately I can't remember those since I mostly listen to internet radios.

2. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi,

You are very welcome!

I definitely seen and went to your provided link in your original post yet it was in fact a recording of a song with your issue and I was hoping you had a particular song that does the garbling, which you did not record and which I could try out for you, as I have had absolutely no problems or issues with any videos or music sounding distorted in any way.

Best Regards,
    SD

3. 2IRS

2IRS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The song in my recording is this one on soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/grey-scale/zere-greyscale-sepia if you're hearing the distortions here, then you have the same problem as me as this is one plays fine on other computers and even on mine with the drives deinstalled.

Whether this one on picosong: Playing: 2014-06-06_14-26-14.mp3 - picosong is my recording with the distortions.

minor9 likes this.
  4. prplhaz4

prplhaz4 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  5. 2IRS

2IRS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you. Could you maybe have a look at your driver version in the device manager?
    Did you ever format and reinstall your system? There were some posts about different MaxxAudio versions after a clean install of the OS. Maybe this causes the distortions.

I'd love to gather as many information on this issue in order to fix it, so any help is appreciated.

6. prplhaz4

prplhaz4 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have formatted/reinstalled a few times, as well as been in a near-constant struggle with drivers in general, so definitely not a benchmark system. Unfortunately, I don't have MaxxAudio drivers installed, so it's running with the default MS/Windows HD Audio driver (6.3.9600.16384 8/22/2013).

7. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you as this (The Original Song) is what I was wanting!

I Really would like to say that it is the Song, yet unfortunately the song plays Perfect and without any Distortion at all and if I could do anything like check what driver or etc., I have on my machine Please kindly let me know, as I just Feel So Sincerely BAD for you and for "Everyone" that is unfortunately and maybe Disgracefully having so many unnecessary issues for their Hard Working Dollar$! :mad:

Best Regards,
    SD

8. dhru1405

dhru1405 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Questions for the guys who have tried linux on the 9530.. which distro works best right off the bet? as in drivers... resolution settings.. scaling... and so forth. I am trying to get into linux. I am familiar with it but not too well. You advise is very much appreciated.

9. adlerhn

adlerhn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Drivers, everything worked perfectly since day 1.

On HiDPI, any of the recent releases of any distro should work fine. With older desktop environments you needed to adjust the sizes of the fonts, but that was it. Moreover, things have changed a lot in the last year in this aspect. Now some desktop environments will detect your screen resolution and automatically adjust the scaling.

If you are trying to get into Linux, I'd advise you to use Ubuntu, as you will find more resources in the Internet for it. You can always change later if you have reasons to (I've been using Ubuntu myself as my main OS some years so far).

There is more detailed information about the XPS 15 and Linux in the wiki: XPS 15 Wiki Linux. Note that the information about which Desktop Environments need tweaking is outdated, as some of us haven't installed the system from scratch in the last months. Feel free to update it with your experience.

10. devize

devize Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have throttling issues too, when playing games like LoL (not an intensive game). 100+ fps straight down to around 15 and the GPU drops down to 135 mhz. I read about applying thermal paste a few pages back but I don't think I'd be too comfortable doing this. Is this actually the best thing to do or should I just contact Dell about it?

It happens more when resting it on a tray on my lap and less when I have it on a desk but it still happens occasionally on a desk. I want to upgrade to an SSD but want to make sure my laptop is good before doing it.