XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. ChrisG1

ChrisG1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So I've had my XPS 2014 for roughly 1.5 weeks, and can report my findings and user experience thusly!

-NO coil whine at all, never heard anything even close to an electrical whine.
    -NO dead pixels, screen burn etc.
    -NO OS instability, despite having rebuilt the system onto an SSD the day I got it.
    -NO mechanical or electronic faults with hardware, all USBs work at their blistering USB 3.0 speed (save the one USB 2.0, naturally).

I am very impressed with this product. I've owned the earlier model of this laptop, and as far as I can see (with the exception of its not supporting windows 7) this edition of the XPS 15 fixes a host of serious flaws with the old laptop including but not limited to:

-terrible cooling system (now with dual fans, combined heatsink and proper venting in front of screen)
    -i5 power (i7 was available on the older model, but not in haswell)
    -additional USB port
    - A GPU that doesn't choke nearly as much with the games I play (DayZ, ARMA 3 etc)

I've never had an overheating situation, although it does get quite warm when playing games with relatively high settings, and I can only get the system to throttle at ultra settings on DayZ and ARMA, and my internet connection collapses well before that anyway.

Aside from the new, slimmer body which I could take or leave, the power light being on the power button is nice, a light being on the charge cable is also nice and the 3200x1800 is gorgeous. Chrome works with scaling well, and it looks amazing. I placed this next to my girlfriend's MBP retina, and there is a noticable difference, especially when comparing high res bird photographs, with high levels of fine detail in the feathers, eyes etc.

One thing that is particularly irritating for me was the lack of Win8 product key on the chassis, its hidden in the registry and you need a tool like

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

to be able to retrieve it. I used the above software, and it found the key plus more information, which was great for my rebuild process.

I dont use the laptop on battery much, but then I never do. The keyboard is the same font as the last, which I quite like although there are more function keys on this keyboard which is nice for more functionality. Cant's decide on the slightly grippy palmrest coating yet, as it does seem to attract dust a bit. Haven't had much use with the trackpad, as I'm an external mouse user primarily.

My only major complaint at the moment is the WiFi. Its not nearly as good as ethernet (I use a D-LINK USB 3.0 to ethernet adapter), so I'm wondering if there is a driver problem or an issue with the adapter unresolved. Am still working on it, will update.

Thats more or less it for now, overall I'm highly impressed. The system is fast, secure, never hangs and playback of games or videos or even just the internet and documents is amazing through that fantastic display. This is truely Dell's best premium laptop offering to date.

Image below is the inside of the machine, I often take internal photos for future reference, and I'll post here in case anyone else wants to know what it looks like/ positioning of components. (The MSATA chip and socket are under the yellow right angle power ribbon, that pulls off with those tabs)

[​IMG]

2. Mihael Keehl

Mihael Keehl Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Quick question guys, where can I get the 91whr battery? I currently have the 6-cell 61 whr version. Does that also mean that I'll have to sacrifice my HDD (rarely use, 1gb 5400rpm)?

3. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Call Dell Spare Parts, and yes.

4. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think there's a Bluetooth Coexistence setting in the Wifi adapter's Device Manager Properties page under the Advanced tab. Maybe try playing with that? Otherwise it's very possible that the hardware has simply been optimized to favor Bluetooth in 2.4 GHz now that 5 GHz WiFi is becoming the standard and range constraints in that band are becoming less of an issue -- in fact 802.11ac only works on 5. AC devices that support 2.4 do so only with legacy standards.

5. IceManKent

IceManKent Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks - but I could not find a Bluetooth Coexistence setting in the wifi adaptor or the Bluetooth device settings either.

6. veloscaper

veloscaper Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    in my experience it doesn't thermal throttle, it current limit throttles both cpu and gpu,

7. Ashers

Ashers Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Some people have had some success disabling "Bluetooth(R) AMP" in the advanced setting for the wireless adapter, so you could try that. However, it didn't seem to make a difference for me. I've now had two machines with intel cards that provide both bluetooth and wireless (sharing the same aerial), and I have had problems with both - the drivers seem to be very unreliable (doesn't connect after sleep), the speeds are slower if the signal strength is not strong, and they require a very good signal strength even to connect and maintain a connection. My older machines, with separate bluetooth/wireless cards, do not have any of these problems. I have resorted to using a wifi dongle with the Dell when I'm not near the router.

8. turkishdelight

turkishdelight Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Since the Accessories page is dead I am going to post this link here. Other fellow members and myself have been looking for a hard shell case to put over the aluminum body so that it does not get scratched; such as the speck and ipearl cases for the Macbooks. If those of you that are interested, and those of you that are not, would please put in a product request on this link it would be greatly appreciated because this would be the first hard shell case out for this laptop- mCover® Hard Shell Cases for Mac | PC Laptops | Chromebooks | Ultrabooks | iPads | Netbooks | Kindles | Nook | Nexus by iPearl Inc, USA | www.ipearl-inc.com | mcover.us | mcover.net. On the top of the website there is a link to "product requests" which you can then submit what product you are requesting for and they price you are willing to pay. I think $20 is a fair price. Thanks! Btw, I know the website looks sketch but it's safe.

9. kave2

kave2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,
    I received my XPS 15 yesterday and at first everything seem ok. However tonight when I turned the laptop on I started to hear some noise. I'm not sure if it is the infamous coil whine or not but I can hear it even if the keyboard backlight is off. Here it is:
    <iframe width='420' height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/im-_v6kd9Ps" frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is this a coil whine? Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  10. veloscaper

veloscaper Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    yes.

mine didn't the first day as well. Then it came and went for awhile and now I can't remember the last time I heard it.