XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. norbert6

norbert6 Newbie

Reputations:
    Can you please tell me what resolution your monitors have and what kind of scaling you chose?

2. ZX-6RR

ZX-6RR Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for this feedback.

I think I won't have the choice and move to a monthly fee to use CC...

3. Oninuva

Oninuva Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    For guys using two external displays, could you post the dock you are using? Thanks!

4. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No dock required. I have one display connected via HDMI and the other via MiniDP. And if you get a DisplayPort MST hub, you can connect multiple displays just using the MiniDP port. Unlike some DP adapters that just span across multiple displays with the system seeing one ultra-wide display, an MST hub actually presents the displays as independent devices to the system, and most if not all of them support using HDMI/DVI/VGA adapters on their output ports, so you can use an MST hub even with non-DisplayPort displays.

I recommend avoiding a dock if all you want is external displays. USB docking stations require separate drivers (I try to avoid extra drivers where I can since it's just one more potential source of issues) and they also use the CPU and GPU to compress the video signal for transport over USB. That imposes a performance penalty on your system, and I remember USB 2.0 adapters often had low refresh rates and/or showed artifacts on faster-motion content such as games or movies, though this may have disappeared with USB 3.0.

5. mark_pozzi

mark_pozzi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Coil whine update:

I was actually one of the first people to purchase and receive this laptop and I was the first person to notice and report the noise that we now know as coil whine.

I rang dell pro support in Australia yesterday and they were really helpful. I sent them a link to the dell community forum and Terry B's post.

They said there was no information about the new board but he was going to email Terry and get back to me. Hopefully I will have something to report next week

6. montlop

montlop Newbie

Reputations:
    After following this thread over several months now I finally decided to contact Dell Support in Germany by myself, because I think that coil-whine noise on my machine become worse – or maybe I just got more sensitive to that sound emitted. The conversation between the support guy and me took several mails, but the only thing I got offered was a service case number and the entry on a list, that I will be notified if revised motherboards will be available. He told me of course, as others already reported, that Dell is working on an revised motherboard but he is not able to give me any ETA. I also got told that complete laptop replacement or full refund is not able in my case due to the fact, that it’s not a technical problem but more a design problem. Really guys, I get more and more frustrated with that. Today I noticed that XPS 15 top-spec dropped to 1449€ in official shop, kinda interesting why…

7. IceManKent

IceManKent Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is interesting. I chatted with Dell online last night asking them to confirm if I were to order the xps15 that I would get one with the new motherboard on which the coil whine issue had been fixed. I was told by the rep that this would be the case although I suspect I was simply given an easy answer out of ignorance of the actual situation. I may order one today and play the lottery hoping for a good one and return it before the 30 day return period if any flaws are present.

8. yromanos

yromanos Newbie

Reputations:
    To avoid any confusion, the noise i am referring to in my post is the one the intermittent high pitch noise that comes from the left side of the laptop (close to the power plug) and that appears when on power and stops when on battery.
    Based on posts from lenovo users who appear to be complaining from the same noise,this seems to be related to the CPU power management.
    More specifically related to the C3 state of the processor.
    There is a workaround on disabling the C2 and C3 states from the registry:
    see section "workaround" in the following KB

registry workaround

i tried this on my xps15 and the sound seems to have reduced quite a bit.

its an easy addition to the registry if you guys want to try it. you can easily remove it if id doesn't.
    i am not sure yet if this affects battery life at all or not, i will post if there are any notable drawbacks.

let me know if it works for you or if the sound is more manageable.

9. nutral

nutral Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    if anyone is still looking for a suitable sleeve for the xps 15. I found one from crumpler, The Gimp 15.6" - Crumpler . I haven't seen any other choices.

10. seancho

seancho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yep. Mine is starting to do that too, on the front right corner. Where my palm is when navigating with arrow keys. Silicon surface has some bubbles forming. My machine has seen close to 5000 hours of use in a hot climate. You use yours in warm conditions? I've been thinking about having the palmrest replaced, but haven't had the chance to do it, yet.

Only other issue I've had with extensive use is a small backlight bleed-through spot on the display. Only visible when the screen is white.