XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. SamDeng2

SamDeng2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys. I just got my Dell xps 15 1TB model. I have the coil whine. It's not overly disturbing and I decided to get it anyhow. There isn't really any other laptop out there that's comparable and I did not want to get a Mac. One question please: Is there anyway to reduce the noise, like any background programmes or registry edits or limiting the battery charge level. Thanks guys. Much appreciated

2. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The most reliable of the mostly unreliable workarounds is to run on battery power as often as possible. Other than that, workarounds that have worked for some (and not others) include forcing the keyboard lighting to always stay on (in Windows Mobility Center, click the actual keyboard icon), keeping certain USB devices always attached, changing your background picture, and running Linux. Coil whine seems to be tied to a particular range of power draw, and these workarounds all seem to nudge power draw just enough one way or the other to make a difference, at least for some people.

3. Ashers

Ashers Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ... and keeping the display at full brightness reduces the coil whine for me.

4. Ashers

Ashers Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    notebookcheck does a quite detailed review of screens for the XPS and the macbook:
    Review Dell Precision M3800 Workstation - NotebookCheck.net Reviews
    Review Dell XPS 15 (9530, Late 2013) Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews
    Apple MacBook Pro Retina 15 Late 2013 Notebook Review - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

It looks like the XPS may be slightly better but not much in it.

5. seancho

seancho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Got a pic of the new palmrest? And it's a different, textured material? I've got little bubbles under forming under the front right corner of my silicon palmrest. I think they'd have to replace the whole body of the laptop to fix it. Not sure if it's worth it.

6. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    they have to replace the palmreset as one piece as I had an engineer show up with a scrap part, it had been smashed on one side. part of the reason I have a 3rd laptop, it even had bits of tape and part of the NFC cards cable lock still attached to it so expect a 2nd hand one if you ask, really is no point taking a photo as you can't tell them apart looking at them. It feels different and side by side looks different but the old laptops got the staining to it so nothings going to make much sense if I post a picture. I would say rubber but they are advertising it as silicon still? it may be but it is less slippery.

anyway, question time.

would you all keep a 5 month old battery with a 0% wear level or keep the new one that had 5% wear and is now 2% after the 1st charge cycle?

I think I am a fool to keep a 5 month old battery over 2% ?

(just tried pics and the camera cannot show the difference m8)

7. nMIK-3

nMIK-3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am assuming you schedule an XPS 15 replacement over the XPS support and ending up getting a new laptop with the new motherboards?
    Also can you update us with the coil whine/noise issues under the new board?

8. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    i already posted pics of the 2 boards, whines still there when the battery is charged. not as bad but there none the less.

9. SDeP58

SDeP58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi Asher's,

Thank you so kindly for your time and response as it is greatly appreciated.

I decided to buy a brand new Dell XPS 15 9530 as I could not find any reviews which clearly stated that the retina display was better than the IGZO display and I have been a long-term PC User as well.

Best Regards,
    SD

10. nikbert

nikbert Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got the same error message: 'The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. Your system will operate slower and battery will not charge.'
    I just got this error on waking xps after overnight sleep on a plugged adapter. Anyone seen this? I wonder if it has to do with some kind of graphics issue - yesterday i had installed google earth and used it for a while, i don't do anything more graphics heavy.