XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. zoon

zoon Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry to get back to this topic but I believe I have to cancel my order. Apparently the mentioned Samsung U28D590 is not a MST 4K Monitor according to several comments all over the net.
    Has anyone actually tried the XPS 15 with UP2414Q or UP3214Q running 4k60Mhz?

I have tried it on my desktop with Intel HD4600 and there is no way to enable 60Hz, the system reboots as soon as i enable MST in the OSD and Intel has confirmed they working on a new driver since month which is not yet available.
    How do you change resolution on the XPS? Are both the nvidia and the Intel drivers installed? If so which one is responsible for selecting output and colorsettings etc?

2. micmex

micmex Notebook Geek

Reputations:

The U28D590D is one of the cheaper 4K monitors on the market and is priced to combat Dell’s own 4K monitors as well as Seiki, an American-based TV brand that was the first to offer cheap 4K monitors to consumers on that end of the world. Samsung’s solution for 60Hz is the same as most others – because of its reliance on Displayport 1.2, the U28D590D uses Displayport MST to divide the monitor into two logical parts and use AMD Eyefinity or Nvidia Surround technology to stitch them back together into a single, addressable group.

And it works fine on 4K/60HZ with the M3800.

3. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As the post above said, someone has 4K @ 60 Hz working on an M3800, and currently the only way to achieve that is through MST. That resolution over SST won't be possible until DisplayPort 1.3. But since I don't have any first-hand experience with 4K, I'm not sure what else to tell you. I don't really see why experience with your desktop would be reason to cancel your order, though, especially when the behavior you're seeing is as strange as a display forcing the entire system to reboot.... That sounds like a lot more than a driver or lack of support issue to me.

All of the settings you're talking about would be managed by the Intel GPU. The NVIDIA GPU is a "render-only" device, i.e. it is engaged when the system detects that it would be beneficial, and when it is, the NVIDIA GPU draws the scene and then sends the rendered image over to the Intel GPU for output to the displays. The NVIDIA GPU is not directly wired to any outputs, and as a result it is not possible to completely bypass the Intel GPU. But you still seem to be fixating on the idea that the Intel GPU "isn't powerful enough for 4K". I don't see where that idea is coming from. After all, the internal QHD+ panel is nearly 4K wired to the Intel GPU through an internal eDP connection (not sure if it can be driven by SST), and I've run that display and two external 1080p displays all simultaneously.

Worst case you can always return the system of course, but if the issue does turn out to be driver-related, then the thinnest and lightest system that has only a discrete GPU driving its outputs will be much larger and heavier than the XPS 15, to say nothing of the battery life difference, in which case if you can, you may want to consider just waiting for the driver update if needed.

4. bwsaw

bwsaw Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you so much! I am a hardcore chrome fan so I'm so happy to not switch to IE. Some game launchers I tried also are pixelated/blurry, are these things, spotify, and whatever occasional webpages or dialogue boxes that scale funny just something that xps 15 users learn to live with?

Also, while playing League of Legends I got the error message "Your computer is low on memory, close this program." I would certainly hope that it's not as it is brand new (and the top spec). I found other people with this problem, but I didn't find a solid fix to the problem. It happened several times, and for some reason once the program it asked to close was IE (some windows were open). Updating my NVIDIA graphics driver did not help.

5. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Fwiw, Firefox is almost flawless on HiDPI except for some minor menu graphics. It's not like you'd be stuck with IE if you didn't use Chrome. :p (That said, IE handles HiDPI absolutely flawlessly and looks fantastic, as I suppose might be expected.)

But if an application doesn't scale correctly or is displayed "zoomed-in" rather than with sharper graphics and text, unfortunately that's because Windows machines have only recently gotten HiDPI options, so applications (and even parts of Windows itself) just aren't ready to support HiDPI gracefully across the board. One of the more glaring examples is RDP, which doesn't offer any scaling at all, so you always end up with ridiculously tiny text and icons when you RDP into the server; RDP unfortunately doesn't support passing the client's DPI scaling preference over to the host. Several Adobe products also don't scale properly, leaving users with tiny toolbars and palettes, though I've been reading that at least the latest versions of some of their applications have been updated recently.

There's more information about scaling in a great AnandTech article here, but that pretty much only gives technical information about the problem and offers some workarounds. Actual fixes have to come from developers. And a related but separate problem is HiDPI coexistence with regular DPI. That's even more apparent and even trickier to solve, and I wrote about that on the XPS 15 Wiki here -- again, it's mostly a technical summary and some recommended workarounds, but no fixes.

As for the memory issue, someone else mentioned DotA 2 had that problem, and Googling around revealed that it was common to that game. If Task Manager shows you have plenty of free memory, it's something that would have to be fixed by an application update. I don't know enough about memory management to guess what specifically is wrong with that game (and why it may only affect certain systems), but it's definitely not a problem with the system itself. I'd look in League of Legends forums for possible workarounds/fixes.

6. retnuh730

retnuh730 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Man this BIOS update totally fixed my slow to wake issues. This is awesome. I heard the link state power management settings caused wake issues, does anybody know if the new BIOS helps with that? I want to use all the dell battery saving tricks but the link state and USB selective suspend being enabled always caused me issues.

7. seancho

seancho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Easy to test. Enable rapid start, switch to default 'power saver' or 'balanced' power plan, disconnect AC and sleep. Works flawlessly for me.

Power button to screen-off: instant, power button to power-button-dark: 3 secs. Battery power: sleep to login screen: 2.5 secs, AC power: sleep to login screen 1 sec. Perfect. This bios update definitely enhances usability. I didn't realize how much I was 'tolerating' the previous sleep problems until they were fixed.

8. uhbijn

uhbijn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if it is possible to peel off the Windows 8 label off the System badge located on the base, without damage it? Or if it is possible to get a badge with the Windows 8 labe attached?

I need to replace the base and saw that I would have to peel off the badge from the base, which the badge is connected to the base through mylar tape.

I also asked for a replacement badge since I already weakened the adhesive of the badge by peeling it off.

9. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is this a serious question? It's not a Product Key sticker like you find on other laptops since the key it's embedded into the BIOS on these systems; it's just a sticker with a Windows 8 logo on it -- who CARES if it's not there!? I took that thing off immediately upon receiving my system because I hate stickers on my laptops, and I was simply grateful that there was only one small one I had to remove.

10. uhbijn

uhbijn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, this is a serious question because if I intend to sale this laptop there will probably be people who want some type of proof that it is genuine. Just like how there are COAs on Dell's Desktop machine, I read that the Windows 8 Label that is found on the system badge is a Genuine Microsoft Label. This label show that they are getting a genuine product.

Other than that, I read that the XPS 15's screen has really good or near perfect colors but it requires calibration. I tried searching through this topic and couldn't find what tools should be used to calibrate it and what tools to use to check the colors. Should I use the built-in Windows Color Calibration?