XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's because with Rapid Start enabled, when you put your computer to sleep it actually goes into a special form of hibernation -- so if it fails to resume and then you forcibly power your system off, that hibernation data is still there for a resume when you power your system back on.

dreamtheater03 likes this.
  2. dreamtheater03

dreamtheater03 Newbie

Reputations:
    That explains it then. I disabled Rapid Start and, although the startup is a bit slower, it does seem to be reliable now, which I find much more important. Thanks for your help!

3. matzalog

matzalog Newbie

Reputations:
    I had resume from sleep/hibernation problem for a while. Have mSata 512GB SSD.
    It seems to be fixed after the latest BIOS update Resume times maybe not as quick. But it is at least reliable.

4. hennk

hennk Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your response.

I do not notice any magnetic force. Guess I will call Dell's support.

Regards,

Henning

5. seancho

seancho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just installed the new A06 bios and I'm noticing that sleep/wake performance under Rapid Start is vastly improved. Probably due to a tweak in video bios. Before, sleep sometimes took several seconds till the power button went dark, and resume from sleep was a crap shoot, sometimes slow, with the screen sometimes not waking up. Also, if I decided to wake the computer immediately after putting it to sleep, I had to wait 15 seconds before the power button would respond.

With A06 and Rapid Start, sleep and wake are almost instant, and 100% reliable, and I can resume immediately. Big improvement!

Has anyone tried running games with A06 video bios update? I'm curious if throttling behavior has changed at all.

6. retnuh730

retnuh730 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you have the 512GB SSD option or the 1TB+32GB option? I want to use rapid start but I've had nothing but issues with the 16gb ram problem

7. seancho

seancho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Small battery. 256gb Plextor SSD boot + 1tb HDD. Rapid Start has always worked, but I think the new bios somehow fixed the video card so that it no longer gets hung up on sleep/wake.

8. bwsaw

bwsaw Newbie

Reputations:
    I just got the XPS 15 today. Is there any fix for the scaling issues that come with the HIDPI screen? In particular, Chrome and Spotify are very blurry. Fixes I found online do not work, unchecking the HIDPI settings under preferences results in tiny UI for those applications.

9. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Had a quick test and it throttle the same as before

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

10. seancho

seancho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Chrome 38.0.2112.0 Canary is perfect on XPS hidpi.

Chrome Browser

I don't use Spotify, but that one is for listening anyway. Does it matter so much how it looks?