XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Indigo_b

Indigo_b Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have you tried to check if your video fan is working or not. Some posts ago I reported that I had a similar very annoying buzzing noise. On further investigation I discovered that the video fan was not working. Is the buzzing emitted from near the right side usb ports ? The buzzing is emitted by the the fan trying to move and it doesn't. You can pick up the laptop and have a look through the grill below if it is the fan blades are stationary. To be completely sure get in to the e-PSA diagnostics and let it run. If the fan fails you will get a loud series of beeps.

2. Indigo_b

Indigo_b Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Works perfectly fine with my Belkin Widi adapter . Are you able to connect to your display ? I had some issues initially but since Widi is supported by Intel they offer a download tool which configures the laptop with the right drivers and since then its been really smooth. Since Miracast and Widi are almost merged I would assume it should work also. Try running Widi Update tool and try connecting to your display maybe it works.

3. hennk

hennk Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I received my Haswell XPS15 2 weeks ago. Overall I am very happy with it.

One thing, though: The metal service tag flap on the bottom comes loose very easily. So easily, in fact, that most of the time when I lift the laptop from its table, it hangs open. While working with the laptop on a flat surface, I sometimes even hear the "clap" it makes when it suddenly comes open.

Is this normal? It bothers me a bit, because I have to take extra care when putting the laptop back down.

Cheers,

Henning

4. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Definitely not normal. That flap is supposed to be held in place magnetically.

5. nMIK-3

nMIK-3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I need some feedback from those of you that have schedule a defective system replacements with Dell XPS Tech Support.
    I just like to verify that the replacement will be a brand new unit -guaranteed- and not a refurbish. According to Dell it will be brand new, but I will like to double check it before I proceed.

6. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    System exchanges are always brand new -- and that means that sometimes you can even get a newer model than the one you have, e.g. if you call about a huge issue very late in the warranty period and your model is no longer in production. I sold my Precision M90 to a friend who discovered a major GPU issue that I never noticed since I'm not a gamer (turned out that its GPU was part of the massive NVIDIA recall a few years back), and he ended up getting a brand new free M6400 as a result. Pretty sweet deal for him....

Individual parts that are used for service appointments, on the other hand, are only ever claimed to be refurbs, though if you have an issue very early on in the ownership period (not sure what the exact cutoff is), you will be given the option to get a full system exchange instead of a part swap. And sometimes the "refurb" parts themselves are in fact brand new, but that is never guaranteed.

nMIK-3 likes this.
  7. nMIK-3

nMIK-3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the confirmation :)

8. dreamtheater03

dreamtheater03 Newbie

Reputations:
    I own a top end XPS 15 9530 (the one with the SSD) since January and overall I like it really well. However, I found 1 issue which is really annoying and I wonder if more people experience this problem and if there is a solution. I did try to look in this forum and other for this issue, but didn't manage to find any. I also have to admit I didn't read all 600+ pages, I hope you'll forgive me for that ;)

My problem is that the laptop will not always boot up after I put the laptop in sleep mode, which I always do. After the laptop is put in sleep mode, about 1 out of 5 times this happens:
    1 - I press the power button
    2 - keyboard lights go on, but the screen remains black
    3 - I wait for up to a minute, nothing happens. I have even tried leaving it for something like 10 minutes, but nothing happens.
    4 - I put the laptop off again by holding the power button
    5 - laptop now always boots up, but there are 2 possibilities: it could be a full boot (so sleep mode has dissapeared) or it could be a resume from sleep. In the last case I notice that the laptop has lost wifi connectivity (normally this works flawlessly) and it takes about 10 seconds to reestablish that connection.

What have I tried so far?
    • I updated all drivers, including BIOS
    • I called Dell. I had a very surreal conversation with a Dell representative who told me that I shouldn't use sleep mode since it kills the battery and that the graphics cards always have issues with the screen. After that he asked me if I had a Radeon video card in the laptop - he had absolutely no idea what he was talking about:err:
    • Full factory reset

Does anybody else have this issue and, even better, does anybody have a solution?

axelllerator likes this.
  9. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you check the XPS 15 Wiki, specifically the Common Complaints section that has an article specifically devoted to this issue in which the recommendation is to disable Intel Rapid Start? ;) It would also allow you to reclaim a good chunk of SSD storage. And the Wiki itself has lots of great non-complaint content such as recommended tweaks to the factory default configuration. Definitely worth perusing.

And FYI, turning your system on after forcibly powering it off would never be a resume from sleep. It could only be a resume from hibernation or a cold boot.

dreamtheater03 likes this.
  10. dreamtheater03

dreamtheater03 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your response. I'll certainly have a look at the Wiki and disable Intel Rapid Start.
    Regarding the "forcibly powering it off", all I know is that I put the system to sleep and try to resume after a while. As I said, about 1 in 5 times the system doesn't start up and in about half of those times, after a hard power off, the system still resumes... no idea how it's possible, but I most certainly didn't put it to hibernate.