XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmm, do you have the "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" checked or unchecked at the moment? With displays that close in resolution, I would imagine that checking that and choosing 200% would yield very acceptable results on both displays simultaneously. Obviously screen elements will be smaller on the built-in panel than the desktop display (just like they are with 1080p laptop panels compared to desktop displays), but it should still be very usable. On the other hand, keeping that setting unchecked might be causing Windows to see enough of a difference between the two displays to attempt GPU scaling on the secondary display to make everything the same physical size, resulting in the performance you're seeing.

So if you haven't already, check that box, choose 200%, log off and log on, and report back. ;)

2. bikkeltje

bikkeltje Newbie

Reputations:
    Here a 'side-by-side' comparison, of 200% and 125%

In a screenshot it looks alright (I resized it to 50% otherwise I could not upload the picture), no matter the scaling:
    Untitled2.jpg Untitled4.jpg

In reality it looks (to me) like a terrible waste of space (don't mind the mess and the partial finger)
    20140728_174400 - Copy.jpg 20140728_180002 - Copy.jpg

With 200% scaling the 34 inch is a waste of good money on real estate (at least that is how I feel). With 125% scaling the 34inch looks alright, but the laptop screen is very tiny.

3. awaisuk

awaisuk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is there an update on coil whine? Interested in this laptop, but waiting for issues to be resolved.

4. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok, then what about 150%? I use that when using my QHD+ panel by itself since that's slightly more real estate than 1080p would give you. Things are a tad small, but it works fine for me, and maybe you'd find it acceptable for your external panel as well.

5. bikkeltje

bikkeltje Newbie

Reputations:
    I might indeed do that, set it to 150%.

The coil whine issue is still present in my 2,5 weeks old XPS 15. I have a permanent ventillation system in my house, and I'm normally not bothered by that sound. The coil whine of the XPS 15 is less audible than the permanent ventillation. My house is not very old and has a huge insulation value, therefore I can say it is a very quiet house. Even though, the coil whine is noticable for me, only if I really pay attention to it. I have heard it might get worse in time, but I have no idea when that is.

Keep in mind that the coil whine is only an issue if it is hooked up to the power supply. On the move you hear nothing. I am hoping to be able to take it with me everywhere,

The MBP is not really an option I feel. The same specs (althoug a better processor, with IRIS) costs me €1000 more than the XPS 15. I might just stick with it. Dell is not really replying to my return demand.

6. doublextime

doublextime Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just an update for the ones of you that are not following this coil whine thread in the dell community. Terry B the guy from the dell liaison gave an update that the remodeled boards should be ready mid august and that anyone can call the dell tech suppot at this time to get a replacement. Nevertheless he said that new mainboards will be made available for new systems first. The new mainboard will also be available for the xps 13 and m3800

7. krayziehustler

krayziehustler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    anyone using this with Miracast??

I am getting a black box when i output to my tv via Miracast (belkin miracast adapter). My tv is 1080p.

8. LibraXPS159530

LibraXPS159530 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have used it with NetGear PTV3000 adapter. It works perfectly fine except for a rare disconnection .

9. GNUDell

GNUDell Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Whilst you are discussing somehow MS windows and it's problems:
    Dell released a new Bios: A06

About coil whine:
    Had a motherboard replacement 1,5 week before.
    (Old broke and also destroyed my partition table of the samsung 840 ssd. Now I have a new MB, more precisely "new refurbished" MB (pretty dirty, but the CPU temps are luckily the same): no coil whine.
    I thought it would be a complete MYTHS, but seems that there actually SOME old MB's exist, which have NO coil whine.

Back to the Bios:
    So again bios A06 is out. I don't use the nvidia card (I'm working on this thing of crappy unreliable device), but maybe the new vbios can help people with throttling problems?!?

cheers

10. awidaai

awidaai Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Aerojex,

I've recently been experiencing the same issues you have spoken about, it's getting so annoying!
    Have you managed to find a solution?