XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. krayziehustler

krayziehustler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    lucky you. My battery came with 7% wear right out of the box

2. retnuh730

retnuh730 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I changed the charging plan to 75 start charging and 95 stop charging. I noticed other plans called 'adaptive' and 'normal' after 'primarily ac'. Does anyone know what those first two are?

3. BrodyBoy

BrodyBoy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Adaptive:
    Optimizes battery settings based on your usage patterns. One of those settings for users who don't like to customize settings and just want the OS to take care of everything.

Normal/Standard:
    Charges the battery at a "medium" rate, supposedly to strike a good balance between battery wear and charging times. (Faster charging, i.e. the "Express" setting, results in accelerated battery degradation, while slower charging helps preserve battery life.)

4. adlerhn

adlerhn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone know how exactly the "Primary AC power" mode behaves? I.e. does it start charging at x and stop at y?

5. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Only one way to find out! :D

But based on the name, I would bet that it uses a strategy similar to what we've been discussing: Avoid charging until it reaches a low level (the lowest you can go on Custom is 50%), and stop charging well short of 100%. That's the best strategy for battery longevity, and if you're primarily on AC power, it's not likely to matter if you occasionally need your battery and find it well below 100% capacity.

adlerhn likes this.
  6. clifforama

clifforama Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I set custom charging from 50% up to 80%. I set it while the battery was at 88%, and it's been on AC power ever since. For awhile (several weeks?) the battery level stayed at 88%, which is understandable. I then noticed the battery level had risen to 90%, and then maybe a week later it rose to 92%. Can anyone explain?

If anything, I might expect the battery level to slowly fall over time until reaching 50%. But increase?

adlerhn likes this.
  7. Indigo_b

Indigo_b Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Last week I started hearing a cyclic faint buzzing noise from my laptop and my mind went immediately to the coil whine but somehow I was not convinced as it was not high pitched. It seemed to be emitted from the right side of the laptop and was faint and intermittent and kept irritating me a lot . I was really confused and intrigued by what was causing the noise. After a couple of days and on opening up the machine lo and behold I was greeted with a static Video fan . The fan tried to move and I could see the blades vibrate and then nothing happened. This kept emitting the buzzing noise every 30 seconds as it tried every 30 secs. When the fan was not supposed to run the noise was not there. As usual ran e-PSA and Video fan test failed. Did the usual call up Dell support they promised to replace the fan and sent someone on the next business day and as luck would have it I discovered it on Friday evening. On Tuesday the service rep from Dell came , replaced the fan and it seems to be running fine now. Really strange as this was a new replacement laptop for the first one in which the 750M did not work and now within a month of getting the replacement the video fan died on me. I hope nothing else dies in the next months. I like this laptop and I hope I can keep it but it seems to be testing me now.

8. zoon

zoon Newbie

Reputations:
    Could someone please confirm the XPS 15 supports 4k 60Hz MST output over its miniDP-port at all times? I have been searching but couldn't figure out if 60Hz is supported, especially if the iGPU is used for output.

I'm thinking of buying this laptop as a desktop replacement but 4k60 support for my UP2414Q is mandatory.

9. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is from the Precision M3800 thread. If you haven't been following, the Precision M3800 is hardware-identical to the XPS 15 except that it uses the Quadro version of the XPS's GeForce GPU and lacks the NFC card that the XPS has:

So yes, the XPS 15 will also support it. Fyi, the DisplayPort 1.2 spec that includes MST and 4K support was approved in December 2009, so any DisplayPort connector on systems/GPUs from the last few years should support it. GPU performance would only affect frame rates when playing video and such at those resolutions, but considering that even integrated GPUs these days are supporting dual 1600p displays, I can't imagine you'd have an issue with a single 4K display while using typical applications. The discrete GPU is also supposed to kick in automatically when it's required to maintain satisfactory performance, and even if it doesn't, you can force certain apps to always run on a particular GPU.

10. lobfredd

lobfredd Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am having quite low and unstable wifi speeds with the newest 17.0.5 driver from intel and the newest wifi driver from dell.
    The maximum speed I get with those drivers is 28mbits, while I pay for 50mbits.
    With the driver that comes with Windows however, I get maximum and much more stable wifi speed (49-50mbits!). (Driver version: 16.5.3.6)

Anyone else experiencing this or is it just me?