XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. BrodyBoy

BrodyBoy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This sounds very much like a driver issue to me. And just to clarify, I don't necessarily mean that you have the settings wrong......I mean that some drivers are just not very good. I only used the Dell driver for about a week, but I think it belongs in that "not good" category. It exhibited all sorts of unwanted behavior, like cursor jumping and unintentional hold and drag.

I've since switched to a Synaptics driver (thanks to jphughan for the tip about v.16.3.15.1....installed flawlessly). It's a typical Synaptics-sourced driver.....infinitely more adjustable than the dumbed-down Dell option, and those unwanted behaviors are completely gone now. I do turn off most of the more gimmicky functions, like rotate, pinch-to-zoom, etc., and I'm left with excellent performance for the functions I actually use. I'd recommend you try completely uninstalling your current driver and starting over with this one.

2. trofi

trofi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys I revisit this thread after about 5 months of having the laptop.

So my conclution is that given the chance I would have bought it again. I have no audible coil whine and keep in mind I am 26 years old so it is not me not hearing it, also my freinds havent noticed it too.

The only problems I have found

1) clunching sound around the power button tht it does someimes. I have no idea what it is probbly someone else should have noticed earlier too.

2 problem is that the trackpad sometimes when pressured at the left corner down it gets stuck there.

3 I cannot connect my phone properly to it ( a nexus 4).

If anyone has any solutions please let me know

Overall very happy with my purchase and I think that theselittle problems are fine. Even notebookcheck when compared it to the new MB noticed that the 2 laptops were very cloce together. I have no idea why is the rankings the MB is first and this beaty is second. According to them MB is better mainly at the screen department but when both laptops are not callibrate but a proffetional will always callibrate a laptop no matter what. Also despite thefact that the CPU is better there is no huge difference in the perfomance and it is know that at leat the older model of MB had to drain power from the battery in order to keep CPU and GPU running.
    Finnally, I was reading n the dell forums that Dell as of july has managed to reproduce the coil whine problem and tries to reaarange the motherboard ETA of something new is not nown at the moment, but I would expect delays with it as Dell has been recently repurchased by its former owned and in abig company like that it takes time for the new QC standarts to be applied and all the projects need to be reapproved before going forward etc.

3. Zoomsday

Zoomsday Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can you provide the link to the post that the coil whine problem has been reproduced? I have kept a close eye on the coil whine yet I've never seen this information.

4. doublextime

doublextime Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am currently using the synaptics driver v17.0.19 which is newer than your one (but i had to allow windows to use unsigned drivers) but i still have the jumping issue. I will give the one you are using a shot.

Okay i think i'll send the system to sleep when i close the lid, so it can awake from sleep when i open it (instead of hibernation) which is probably even better for the ssd as the ddr content doesnt get dumped on it.

Is there a tool to control the fans on the xps? I think they are kicking in way to early and are running constantly on my XPS (even if i used passive cooling over active cooling in the settings). And i dont think the fans should kick in at 45 degrees core temperature or am i wrong here?

5. retnuh730

retnuh730 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What sort of battery degradation are you guys getting? I"m at 80% total storage capacity of the original shipping battery after 2 months. I feel like that's pretty high degradation.

6. BrodyBoy

BrodyBoy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey trofi....thanks for your 5-month re-assessment. These kinds of comments are especially useful for prospective buyers and us "new" owners wondering what to expect in the coming months.

I'm really only having one issue with mine, but it's an increasingly bothersome one. The hinge is SO stiff that I practically have to pry it open, and I'm wondering if mine is just particularly "sticky" or if they're all like this. For those who've had their XPS for awhile now, like trofi, have you found that the hinge softens up over time?

If it's supposed to be like this, I think it's a significant design flaw. Opening a laptop shouldn't require two hands and force, especially when the slim design offers no edge to easily grab onto. With the MB Pro I'd been using in recent months, the hinge is tensioned perfectly....I can open it with one hand without the base lifting off the table. From the front or either side. The XPS, by comparison, is a bear to open. I pretty much have to dig my fingers (of both hands) between the top & bottom, fairly close to the middle of the front edge.

I REALLY hope it softens up over time. Anyone have any thoughts? Similar or different experience?

7. Ashers

Ashers Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I set my PC to charge only when below 50% and never charge above 90%. Had it since March. Battery wear still at 0%.

8. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Batteries don't degrade anywhere near linearly (or discharge linearly, for that matter, despite the percentage-based display people are accustomed to), so your battery isn't going to drop to 0% after 10 months. I have my battery set to wait until 50% before charging and never exceed 80% since I'm almost always on AC power, which should help with longevity, but if that's not a feasible option for you, then just keep using the system as you need to. And absolute worst case, these batteries are extremely easy to replace as long as you have a Torx T5 screwdriver, unlike Apple that practically uses rubber cement to keep their batteries attached to their chassis.

9. retnuh730

retnuh730 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How does one set the battery to charge for those intervals?

10. Ashers

Ashers Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can do it in the BIOS settings: Set the "battery charge" mode to custom, and then you can set the lower and upper % for charging.