XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. ceoloide

ceoloide Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    First, a disclaimer: properly applying thermal paste is not as easy at it might seem. If you are getting average clock at 80C, then you're already good enough and it might not be worth the risk.

If you still want to go ahead, you can follow the instructions provided by Arctic and this instructables guide (with pictures).

Good luck!

Marco

adlerhn likes this.
  2. omegafiler

omegafiler Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Also, if somebody isn't comfortable with any of this, you can just ask Dell to send a new heat sink along with a tech. The heat sink will already have paste applied to it. Just need to make sure the tech cleans off the old stuff.

Of course they'll probably want some basic trouble shooting to be done, but it is another option.

adlerhn likes this.
  3. krayziehustler

krayziehustler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    happens to me all the time.

luckily i figured out that if you press the bottom of the laptop where the mousepad is supposed to be up, it will release it. Basically push up from the bottom of the touchpad. Dont know if this warrants a return/replacement if that helps.

4. turkishdelight

turkishdelight Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So I have noticed that after like 20 seconds the backlit keyboard sleeps until I touch the touchpad or press a key. Is there away to prevent this sleeping so that when I turn on the backlighting it is always on?

5. adlerhn

adlerhn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You have to press FN+one of the function keys (sorry, not in front of my computer right now). It's around F7 or so.

6. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Install Dell Quickset, go to Windows Mobility Center, and click the Keyboard Backlighting tile to set the timeout. Or just save your battery and wake up your keyboard backlight by pressing something innocuous and easy to feel for like Shift or Ctrl. :)

7. Ashers

Ashers Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Doesn't work for me. I just have a slider with the positions of "Off", "Dim", and "Bright". Nothing to set a timeout.

8. turkishdelight

turkishdelight Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have tried all the keys and nothing seems to do the trick. I know that the turn on and dim backlighting function key is f10 but that still doesn't fix the backlighting "sleeping".

Already have it installed and tried to find advanced settings in power options and Windows Mobility Center. Just like the function key Windows Mobility Center only has "Off", "Dim", and "Bright" settings none of which prevent the keyboard lighting from turning off automatically after 20-30 seconds of inactivity. It's not a big deal but something that I noticed which I'd like to have control over :p

9. desm0nd

desm0nd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Toronto-20140709-00590.jpg

Hello,

After not using my computer for a while, when I start to use it, there are these weird spots on the computer below the keyboard on both sides of the mouse pad as you can see by the pictures. Not sure why they show up but they disappear after about an hour of using my computer.

Anyone know what is causing these?

10. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    your greasy hands.