XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. DrClone

DrClone Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can confirm this, I played with the Samsung ATIV Book 9 plus at Best Buy. I adjusted the screen resolution down to 1600x900 which results in pure crisp image (1 pixel = 4 pixels in 1600x900) and tried 1920x1080 which results in pretty crisp images but with soft edges. It's not as bad with low resolution screen that is really blurry. I'm considering buying the Yoga 2 when they fix the "yellow washout" in color and hopefully fix the color correction. It would be tough for me going from a casual gaming laptop to a ultrabook...but I really need the portability more than gaming.

I also was considering the Dell XPS 15 or the Dell M3800, but...I was shocked HOW high their price was. I'll wait a while till it drops about $300 in price then we'll start talking money.

2. IceManKent

IceManKent Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree with you, there !
    Stellar-looking piece of hardware - but the pricing is quite steep.
    I hope Dell can offer some good holiday discounts on their high end products.
    A discount of 300.00 would entice me to buy one without a doubt. (from Dell.ca - since I am sure the US site has cheaper prices than Canada anyway)

3. Erasmus354

Erasmus354 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    There really isn't anything in this class that is any cheaper though. Remember this is a premium product. There are similar but lesser computers for less such as the HP Envy 15 which is really just a dv6 renamed, none of the Envy build quality. However that example is only going to save you a few hundred dollars and you get a heavier, bulkier, lower specced laptop out of it. Or you could stick with Dell and go for the Inspiron 15 7000 Series. Once again you get a bulkier, heavier, lower specced laptop for less money.

The only thing directly comparable right now to the size, weight, and performance of the XPS 15 is the Macbook Pro Retina. In that comparison the Dell comes out ahead by several hundred dollars on price. I'm just not buying this being overpriced by $300 considering the prevailing market.

4. IceManKent

Reputations:
    I would (love) to order this thing right now - as there's a 150.00 off coupon code but it expires on Nov 1st - (even before this thing would ship).
    That's a LOT of faith to place in a not-yet-released product.

Just out of curiosity - only the SSD version of this comes with the 91 Whr battery (vs the 61 Whr battery in the lower two models).
    How "much" more time does the 91 WHr give you compared to the 61 WHr ?

5. wickeddeus

wickeddeus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Is this coupon Canadian only?

6. IceManKent

Reputations:
    Yes - the particular code I found (just by googling for it) was for dell.CA

7. spybenj

spybenj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had and have the same worries, but that's what the return policy's there for ;)

8. Wurstwasser

Wurstwasser Newbie

Reputations:
    So I searched a lot and am still not sure if the XPS 15 has NVIDIA Optimus? Anyone know this for sure? It would make sense since the M3800 has Optimus but i couldn't find anything on that states that the XPS 15 has Optimus?

9. spybenj

spybenj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It 100% has Optimus, it'd be impossible to get 11 hours of battery if it was using the 750m the entire time l

10. HamStar50

HamStar50 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I think pretty much all laptops in the last 2-3 years with NVidia graphics are "optimus". On board Intel graphics are included on this and pretty much all laptops - optimus to me in just a software thing that gets the discrete gfx card to kick in. On my L521x and xps model before that all did the same thing.