XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had the same problem. It is in the power profile for high performance. Go through all settings and turn off adaptive brightness.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

2. newoverhere

newoverhere Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nevermind, after digging deep into those settings for about 15 minutes I finally got the dropdown option to turn it off. And here I was thinking I had already disabled it in Change PC settings->PC and devices->Power and sleep->turn off adaptive brighness:p:thumbsup:

3. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You probably did, but that's why I tried to make it clear in my post that adaptive brightness and general display brightness settings are per-profile, so if you turned it off while Balanced or Power Saver was active, then it wouldn't necessarily stay off when you switched to High Performance. If you confirmed that slider was Off even when you had High Performance active, maybe the Metro slider handles dimming the display after a period of inactivity? Anyway, glad you're sorted out.

It's also irritating that the Metro slider doesn't specify whether the change would apply to AC, Battery, or both....

4. krayziehustler

krayziehustler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So is there a way to return this to Dell due to the coil whine? I don't want this anymore, I've reached my limit after a few months. Is there a Dell guy to reach out to?

I returned last year's debacle XPS 15 due to the wifi issue after the 30day period via a Dell rep I found in these forums.

5. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you're within the 30-day return period, returning should be simple. If not, you can try working with Customer Service to get a return despite having exceeded that period. Or you can watch the Dell Communities thread for updates from Terry B on the availability of the fix. As has been stated multiple times here, the latest update is that a fix will be available in the mid-June to early July timeframe, so if you'd want to keep the system if it didn't have coil whine, you shouldn't have too much longer to wait.

6. 227

227 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It is possible. i have done it - but it wasn't easy.

1) On the customer service line they will tell you there is nothing they can do (most probably there really isn't because they can't accept returns after 30 days) and will send you to Tech Support (which will send you back). Even if you speak with the managers, they will tell you the same thing. You nevertheless have to go through the managers and then escalate from there.

2) Build a compelling case. These tips came from Gonzo - so all thanks go to him:
    - The mistake was acknowledged on the official Dell forum by their own Liaison (Terry B, p.14 http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19536279.aspx?pi239031352=14). He writes: “All, without having the remodeled system boards I can’t really suggest having a service now. “ – which means there isn’t a fix (yet).
    - Make them appreciate you as a customer. My entire family has Dell (which I have purchased for them) as well as my company, so I was personally very displeased with this service and it cast a negative shadow over my image of Dell.
    - In my case, the technician specifically promised me that he will give me a refund if the last attempted service fails. Maybe you have something like that too?
    - If you use the laptop in professional settings, then naturally the coil-whine is a no-go.
    - It helps if you already had service. I was rocking a 3rd motherboard by the time I talked with them. If they didn’t attempt to fix the device it’s going to be hard. But you may let them try it two times and then escalate.
    - Consumer law clearly states that if they can’t fix the product, you have a right for refund or replacement. This supersedes any Dell stuff. If they try to refuse, tell them that you will take them to the small claims court and from now on they will be dealing with your legal team and you will charge them for any fees you have to pay.

3) Escalate, escalate, escalate. Always speak with the supervisor and their supervisor. Your goal is the corporate office. They are the one that have the power to grant an exception to the no-return policy. It was only then when they agreed to the refund.

Alternatively, like you mentioned, you can try to find a Dell rep who will help you out. There are also some support staff that may, but in my experience both Tech Support and Customer Care (even the premium line) can’t do anything will just bounce you around. You have to be persistent, escalate and get to the corporate office.

P.S: Keep records of your conversation with them (you can put your cell on speakerphone and record with a tablet or another phone). I have done this to make sure that they don't go back on their promise.

7. ingeniousengine

ingeniousengine Newbie

Reputations:
    I agree that the voltage regulators are on CPU on haswell, but how does that affect coil whine? Do you think voltage regulators make the CPU hotter?

8. ingeniousengine

ingeniousengine Newbie

Reputations:
    Is there a thread with xps 15 prices paid? The cheapest I can find the top model going for is $1899 .. anyone get it cheaper ?

9. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have absolutely no idea. I just reiterated someone else's post, and maybe he had no idea either. That person simply found it interesting that a CPU for the first time integrates the voltage regulator, then systems equipped with that CPU exhibit coil whine (according to him users of other notebook models are noticing coil whine), and now Intel will be moving the voltage regulator back to the motherboard. But of course that could all be circumstantial since the decision to move the voltage regulator back could have been made for any number of other reasons. I guess we'll know more when someone finally gets their hands on a redesigned motherboard.

10. cheshirecat79

cheshirecat79 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For what it's worth, I'm running two 1080p external displays via HDMI/DVI over a usb3 connection using the dock from Plugable. Haven't noticed any artifacts with 1080p on the external monitors.

Granted, this doesn't solve the 4k issue, but running three displays with this unit works and, in my case (graphic/design work) it works very well.