XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good to know. I guess given the amount of things in the drivers package these days (the Intel Graphics Properties application, the HDMI audio drivers, etc), I guess I'd just rather use the package that works without jumping through extra hoops, especially if the only benefit to having a newer driver is just that it's newer, as opposed to fixing some problem I'm experiencing. A few years ago I would have jumped all over finding workarounds to get the latest and greatest running just for the enjoyment of the challenge -- and don't get me wrong, that attitude taught me a lot about PCs and Windows in particular that remain relevant to this day in my job -- but lately I just like things to work, frankly, and thus sometimes I'll just go for the lowest-friction solution, even if it's not the sexiest and most cutting edge.

2. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    ha, yeh. This time I went dell for the intel as it was the same release as the intel site. otherwise I have always used Nvidia video drivers over the dell release for the games updates. I have stuck to Dell network drivers for stability as I got a lot of network connect issues resuming from standby on the XPS using intels latest offerings.

3. techtonic

techtonic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looks like the XPS 15 finally has a Windows competitor, the ASUS NX500. 4K screen, PCIE SSD, 850m.

At the very least, with more competitors, it will hopefully force Dell to step up their game.

4. rotraspher1986

rotraspher1986 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    yeah i just saw it too today ASUS's Zenbook NX500 is a thin and light laptop with a 4K screen seems like a solid machine..a lil heavier than dell xps though but such graphics and 4 k display seems like 4k displays are gona be common in a few years on laptops now..not to mention the aluminium unibody look of the laptop

bratspast likes this.
  5. bratspast

bratspast Newbie

Reputations:
  6. zakazak

zakazak www.whymacsucks.com

Reputations:
    So far I haven't installed the synaptics driver as I rarely use the touchpad and besides that I feel like it works fine without any driver?

Is there any reason why I should install the synaptics driver? I feel like it is just another drivers + process running in the backround which doesn't give me any advantage anyway? The only thing I could "use" is mouse acceleration the touchpad. But ONLY on the touchpad as I don't want mouseaccel in games.

7. Mihael Keehl

Mihael Keehl Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just installed the touchpad driver, it's has gesture features that allow you to zoom in as if you are pinching your iphone. It has other gestures too, but I haven't really experimented.

Does anyone know if there is a program that turns of the touch-part of the screen?

8. zakazak

zakazak www.whymacsucks.com

Reputations:
    I think there was a way to disable the touchscreen in bios? Or by disconnecting the cable.

I use all the gestures with the touchscreen so I guess there is one more reason why I don't need the touchpad driver? ;P

9. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you're happy with all of the default settings and don't need gestures, then I guess you don't need the touchpad driver. Looking at my Task Manager though, Synaptics apps seem to take a combined 1.3 MB of RAM, which on a system with 16 GB just doesn't feel like a lot. :p

I have the driver so that I can disable "tap to click" and also enable gestures I want (two-finger scroll) while disabling gestures I'll never use that result in a lot of misinterpreted input (edge swipe). I don't really scroll with the touchscreen because I scroll a lot, and using the touchscreen for uninterrupted, extended periods isn't feasible because it gets tiring having to hold your arm out in the air.

And no, there's no option to disable the touchscreen in the BIOS. There's Device Manager (which may or may not cut power to the touchscreen) or disconnecting the cable.

10. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice! I wish I could see the I/O ports along the left edge and get a few more details, such as HDMI and DisplayPort revisions (if they have both ports), whether the 4K display is a touchscreen, the specific CPU and WiFi adapter, etc -- not to mention pricing and release date. I'm not crazy about the keyboard being silver and apparently not having high-contrast labels for the keys themselves, but since I'm not crazy about the font on the XPS 15, I guess I'll consider that one a wash.