XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Common to many systems, though not all. Dell rep has said an update on the issue and steps to get a fix should be provided by the end of the month in the Dell Communities thread about this issue. I still recommend the system even with coil whine, frankly, and if you can get 30% off, then it's a no-brainer.

2. Mihael Keehl

Mihael Keehl Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Definitely not all, I bought mine refurbished and it doesn't have one, although at the moment, I have a 6-cell battery and a 130w charger. Not sur if the coil stuff is with only the 9-cell machines

3. Athonline

Athonline Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That is what I am thinking.

I am also going after the 6-cell. Usually coil whines are due to "overconsumption" of power, resulting coils to move in their natural frequency. Thus I assume using "excessive" power aka during gaming or using a less power model (6-cells bat) should be OK.

Other than the coil, anything else I should look for?

4. darrenham

darrenham Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The 6 cell doesn't have less power, it has less powerhours.

5. darrenham

darrenham Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And if anything, as the whine is most prevalent when at 100%, you'd expect a smaller battery system to spend more time at 100%, so you probably get it more with the 6 cell :D

6. sgeorge999

sgeorge999 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    FYI

i was able to buy the 91whr battery via parts, free shipping, with tax, $171

1 7D1WJ Battery,Primary,91WHR,Vmware 6 Core Processor,Lithium,SIMPLO

adlerhn and prplhaz4 like this.
  7. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The thinking about power draw and the 6-cell is flawed. If that were the case, the 9-cell model would be faster simply by having a different battery, which it isn't. Both batteries can supply the same maximum amount of current; the 9-cell can simply supply it for longer. It's just the size of the tank that's different, not the size or pressure of the delivery pipe, so to speak. I believe some of the coil whine reports come from people with mid-spec systems, fwiw.

Other than coil whine, display dust and/or dead pixels seem to come up more frequently than one would expect, but only a small percentage of those reports come from people who noticed it during regular usage; everyone else went off looking for issues using a solid white full-screen image. While that test is informative, it's the type of synthetic test that has no real-world relevance and causes people to see issues that under normal usage never would have been discovered but that now can't be "un-seen". I personally haven't noticed anything wrong with my display, but I'm in no hurry to go off looking for problems, because if I find one then my OCD will kick in even though the issue would absolutely never pose a real-world problem for me -- and if it did, I'd get it addressed then.

I liken it to getting a full body scan at a hospital even when you're feeling perfectly healthy. You're bound to find at least a few minor things that are technically issues but not large enough to be a problem. What's the value of that information? You end up having to weigh the stress/effort of addressing those issues vs the aggravation of doing nothing and knowing that those issues are still there unaddressed in your body -- even though those issues aren't real problems and thus you'd never have noticed them had you not gone looking for them anyway.

I'm not advocating for people burying their heads in the sand, but people who go out of their way to look for things that are even slightly wrong are bound to find such things. So I would say just use your system normally, and if you discover any issues in THAT setting, then by all means address them. Fortunately you'll have at least 1 year of warranty coverage, so there's no rush.

8. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    NICE!! First confirmed success on this front, and that price seems about right for a 91 WHr battery. If anyone wants to try to buy the 6-cell version and the SATA cable and bracket (e.g. to fit a 2.5" drive), I'd be curious to see part numbers and pricing for those.

9. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Right, I had a Dell engineer visit today, he was more than happy to leave the parts and go as it meant less work for him. What happened next was utterly shocking.

I was expecting a new palmrest as the one I have has a blemish in the silicon thats not started to peel, I open the perfect box to reveal a perfect sealed bag. open the bag to see what can only be described as something that has come from a laptop thats been dropped on it's corner, sent back to dell and process by a blind special tech with no fingers who drools a lot and wipes his own sh!t onto himself so no one will go near him. as documented below.

This is the right hand bottom corner.

91Ov4jV.jpg

This is to the left of the palm rest and is basically grease.

G3uu9Ap.jpg

I think this is about the location of the NFC chip, I assume they have simply wrenched it off the sticky patch it adheres to as part of the ribbon cable locks still in place.

LNa2gxX.jpg

well done dell, well f**king done you bunch of retards on a tremendous job of refurbishing parts to send back out on your top of the line premium XPS laptop, faith in you totally and utterly smashed into a million pieces. and now documented on the internet for all to see *slow clap*

The guy who came out said he is a contractor and has a lot of issues with part, the mainboards being the biggest problem, the ones that POST that is according to him *sigh*

Needless to say I now have a 4th build in the making. God only knows what condition this will be in.

The screen on the other hand this time was packaged new, but had 3 dead pixels and a fibre under the screen before I gave up and took it out again.

Oh, this is a picture of the 1st laptops screens rough patch. when you rub over it with cleaning fluid it shows the panel defect.

this is not dirt FYI, it is an etched flaw.

YAD6uWV.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  10. 227

227 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I got my motherboard and speakers replaced today.

1) The coil whine is definitely still there, but it seems it went from really high pitched annoying noise to more of a humming thing. Will test more.

2) Speakers seem to be the same. Could any one of you please test this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCsAiwrFaio and let me know if you have similar low distortion like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrGqyRFjkds ?

3) The Fn keys changed. Before - I didn't have to push the FN key to, for instance lower the volume when pressing F2, now I have to. I think this is more of a software/driver thing. Do you guys know how to switch it back? Ie that I do not have to hold down the FN key to active those?

4) Since everything is soldered onto the motherboard, I got new CPU/GPU. I tested 3D mark 11 and the scores dropped from 2995 to 2978 - nothing major I guess.