XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. nikbert

nikbert Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    PSA: Please check your SD card reader's write capabilities on the xps. Mine is not able to write if the card is NOT locked i.e. it can write/delete only if the card is locked! I'm not keen in getting this fixed as my xps is otherwise without any issues.

2. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    it's just an add on card on these laptops so it's not a major job to do.

3. darrenham

darrenham Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've just found a few marks under my touchscreen glass as well as a couple of dead pixels.

Looks like I'm calling Dell...

4. Caucasian_Fury

Caucasian_Fury Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No issues here, card reader reads through my stack of SD cards just fine.

5. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You will not be happy to hear you get what dell class as refurbished, no new panel swaps. Although a factory sealed panel cannot be refurbished and they are very obviously 2nd hand judging by the used mylar tape that is curled and no longer sticky so it cannot hold the connectors in place any longer. I have another LCD turning up tomorrow and I have been told this is also refurbished so that is being sent back as well and a refund will be issued so I can reorder as they won't build be another so they say. The 1st I got had dead pixels and use marks, god only knows what the 2nd will have apart from the 1st being 4 months old FFS!

6. Mihael Keehl

Mihael Keehl Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone know how to turn off the touch screen?

7. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can disable the touchscreen and USB Input Device items in Device Manager, but I don't knowing that kills the power to the touchscreen. For that, I guess download the Owner's Manual, find the appropriate connector for the touchscreen, and disconnect it. That cable is separate from the video and camera cables, so touch is the only function you'd lose that way.

That said, I didn't care that this system had a touchscreen, but I have to say it's kind of fun to play with the Metro Photos app to swipe through photos and pinch to zoom, and sometimes it's actually quicker to reach out and touch a dialog box option rather than use the touchpad, though that's not sustainable long-term due to arm fatigue.

Mihael Keehl likes this.
  8. Athonline

Athonline Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As I gathered from reading a few pages, the laptop has a coil whine. Is it common to all machines of this refresh? Other common issues? Overall thought, would you recommend it?

I got a 30% off code and it is really tempting to order one.

9. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    yes it is common and you should still have a 10% off welcome to the vip club you can stack onto the 30% off as I tested that in the basket this weekend. if not use a new email to sign up again. takes it to £909

10. Athonline

Athonline Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I tried my 10%, but it didn't work! Thanks for the tip!

Edit: I got a new code, but still doesn't work. It looks like it "overwrites" the other code.