XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    punch her for being a crap shot?

2. 227

227 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I see - I guess it depends on what warranty you got. I opted for 4 years extended + accidental damage meaning I can push this thing for 4 years and if the GPU fails after say 2-3 years, then they should replace it (provided I don't temper with the system). Sometimes they even give you an upgrade - though as awesome as that would be - I don't think that will fly :).

Yes - the screens are stopping me from converting too. Today you can get Y50 with i7 4710HQ, 860m 4g Maxwell, 1080p multitouch and 16gb of RAM for $1399 before student discount - which is kinda ridiculous as compared to Dell :). I'm not liking the weight and like I said, the screen though.

3. 227

227 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I actually talked with the support today about the very same thing (and distortion on the speakers). They tried to update all the drivers, but the problem is still there so they said they need to replace both the speakers and the system board. Hopefully they already have the new one - they said they need to ship it here first and then they will call to schedule an appointment.

4. s0ysauce45

s0ysauce45 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    any word of a maxwell refresh to the GPUs?

5. Caucasian_Fury

Caucasian_Fury Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Haha, I don't believe in extended warranties, I've never purchased one and I never will. I just have the standard manufacturer's 1 year warranty. As I said, I've only had two previous laptops in my life and both lasted 5 years, they were replaced because they had become too obsolete and slow, not because they had broken down or anything although wear and tear was starting to get to them.

6. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, and I don't expect Maxwell to arrive until the next-gen XPS 15, i.e. I don't expect this generation to get a refresh. This has been asked and answered by myself and others several times in this thread. If you Google "XPS 15 Haswell Maxwell site:notebookreview.com" you'll pull up some of the pages that have posts about it.

s0ysauce45 likes this.
  7. 227

227 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    +1 - I spoke to the rep about this and he said that they have no information about that yet. But for anybody who wants to create some push - please bump up this thread on Dell IdeaStorm -> it's exactly for this - push for GPU refresh. Idea Storm (you might need to create an account there if you don't have one - but that's really quick).

I actually like this thing from Dell - it benefits both sides.

8. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    it won't happen, we are halfway through the 9530's lifecycle and still waiting for basic hardware bugfixes to come in. the marketing department will be working on new models so don't hold your breath.

9. aerojex

aerojex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

Has anyone had any issues with a buzzing noise? This has been going on for sometime now and it is audible at presumable low fan speeds. If for example I go in game and the fans begin to speed up the 'regular clicking' just goes away. Could this sound be coming from anything else apart from the fan and should I open the back to look for any signs of hardware contact?

Thanks

10. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    this one (laptop #2) came out the box with a loose bit of crap stuck in a fan that fell out once the fan got up to speed so it is worth opening up and taking a look.