XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Fair or not, using refurb (or otherwise used) parts for warranty service is standard practice in the industry, so I wouldn't go so far as to call it "disgusting". To your point of the principle of paying a large sum and ending up with used parts, that's why if you report a warranty issue very early in your ownership period (not sure what the exact cutoff is), you're offered the option of a system exchange instead. That way you get a completely new system rather than getting used parts.

But let's keep a little perspective here. First, LCDs tend to take a very long time to wear out, so it's not as if a used LCD is grossly subpar to what you had. Second, any QHD+ panels that ARE used couldn't have been used for terribly long at this point since they haven't existed for very long. At the end of the day your system and its parts are only new until you take everything out of the box. From there it's just a question of degree of used. Personally I'd be much more annoyed at getting a replacement LCD that had the issues I complained about on the original unit than by getting a refurb display.

2. Caucasian_Fury

Caucasian_Fury Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is standard industry practice. Every company does this, including Apple.

3. nMIK-3

nMIK-3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yea, I am speaking generally about the refurbish situation. Not specifically for Dell. And just because the A company is doing it does make it less disgusting.
    It is actually double bad because you are not just ending up with used material, you ending up with used materials that were bad or broken in the first place and got fixed(!), when you pay "premium price" for new.

These are true generic facts about warranties. The benefit of course is faster service and cheaper support for the companies because they recycle their bad hardware. If I had to choose I would go with fixing my existing defecting peace of hardware, than getting another refurbish one. If I had to choose, as this is not always the case.

In a similar case, I had personally opened a case with my Bank against HP and won, when I was facing major problems with an premium top of the line HP Envy. I end up loosing so much time sending the laptop back and forth, they changed so many parts without solving the problem, what was the point of paying premium, to end up with a used computer?
    I won the case they took the whole thing back and even got a newer model as a replacement.

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The question is why are these parts considered refurbished, refurbished implies a fault has been found fixed, tested and put in the graded part stock ready to ship to customers such as the printers I take out to customers. Yes this could be as simple as a bricked panel after a failed firmware upgrade but I very much doubt dells got a huge stockpile of these sat on it's shelf. mines got dead pixels so no doubt someones rejected it due to that and it has been shipped back. the original panel I have on laptop#1 had a rough patch and dust under the screen. I thought it was dirt but the dust is under the glass and the rough patch felt like a fingerprint but it wouldn't clean off with and standard cleaner, when a wet cleaners used it showed as an etch in the panel so I rejected the laptop. now some poor s going to get that stuck onto his nearly new 9530 and be none the wiser unless he reads this post and has a grope on the right bezel about 4 inches from the top of the screen, then he can go back to dell and say, oi w***ers this was stuck on GoNz0's laptop and you class it as refurbished!

5. CronoX

CronoX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    error, delete please

6. CronoX

Reputations:

Hi, I'm really worried because the wear leveling count is increasing a lot on my ssd. Are you sure it is normal?

7. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Unless you want to use your SSD as a read-only device, wear leveling is only ever going to go up. It is a normal process of an SSD and it EXTENDS the life of the unit compared to what would happen without it. It is not at all indicative of errors on your SSD; it's simply correlated to the amount of write activity it's experiencing. It is absolutely nothing to worry about. This is the danger of too much information sometimes. If you're still worried, take a look at this excerpt from an earlier post I wrote on the subject of MLC vs TLC flash chips. Note that the part I'm quoting refers to the life expectancy of TLC-based SSDs; MLC-based SSDs would likely last even longer:

CronoX likes this.
  8. CronoX

Reputations:
    many thanks..but I think that my wlc go up too fast (4 months of life)

8ytd06.png

9. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What makes you think it's increasing too fast? What rate would you consider normal, and why do you consider that rate normal?

And actually, I just checked my own SM841 that I've had for 7 months and I also have a Wear Leveling Count of 97. In fact, every single value on my CrystalDiskInfo report except Power On Count is the same as yours. That tells me that these SSDs probably don't report numbers accurately (or CrystalDiskInfo doesn't retrieve data properly for these units). That in turns means we don't have a clear understanding of what (if anything) these numbers represent on the SM841, in which case there's no way to determine what's "normal" or "increasing too fast", so there's no basis for getting worried about seeing a particular number.

Again, I don't understand why you're worrying about this. It's almost as if you're hoping to find something to worry about. Just use your system, and of course back up your important data -- not because of the wear leveling count, but because it's a good idea. I don't really have any more I can add that I haven't already said here, so if you're still worried, I guess I can't help you.

CronoX likes this.
  10. kevin1988

kevin1988 Newbie

Reputations:
    So my GF threw me a pull & peel licorice and it fell and hit my keyboard and my computer shut down instantly and said there was a system failure... Any idea what happened? Anything I need to do now? lo