XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. willmb

willmb Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's included in the same update, although not mentioned in the title.

2. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    well they messed up the driver, you can't swipe from the left to change full screen pages no matter what setting you have selected so i rolled back to the old driver :(

3. Caucasian_Fury

Caucasian_Fury Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry, I should've mentioned that I'm going with Canadian pricing for the Razer, which is $3030 CDN for the top 512 model, versus the top tier XPS 15 which retails for $2300 here, same as the US. Not quite $1K difference I agree but $730 is still a significant gap, for Canadians I guess anyway.

Anyway, I'm not really defending Dell on their decision not to include an 850m on the XPS 15, just that they're doing it for business reasons, not so much technical. Probably one of those situations where they don't want the consumers to have their cake and eat it too.

Would they sell more XPS15 with an 850m, likely, but would it be worth the slimmer profit margins? I have no idea, I'm guessing they've done the analysis and decided it wasn't worth it. Maybe they're saving the 850m for the next major XPS 15 release would be my other guess, instead of throwing it on a mid-cycle refresh they'll wait to make the replacement model more distinctive instead of it being a middling upgrade.

Or they could just be plain incompetent, that's equally likely and wouldn't really surprise me given how they've handled the entire coil whine fiasco.

4. brokenblinker

brokenblinker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ordered a spare laptop charger to use. However, it seems I accidentally got one with the larger dell style plug. Does anyone know if there is somewhere I can purchase a plug adapter to make it work for my 9530?

5. 227

227 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Haha - well said! I think they are keeping it for the next one and they either have their reasons or they are incompetent :) I guess we will never know. It's more of a wish at this point :) 750m handles most games ok - gives me 25fps even with witcher 2 on 1080p on high. But 35-40 would be nicer :). The thing with these graphic cards is that they are pretty comparable at lower details but once you crank it up - it does show and they fall off.

6. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's been mentioned quite a few times in this thread: Dell Cable - DC Power Dongle : Connected Classroom | Dell.

And here is the correct adapter that comes up in the Accessories store after you specify the system you have: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=332-1829. Still, I think having the dongle is a better solution since there are a lot more Dell AC adapters out there with the standard plug.

7. Caucasian_Fury

Caucasian_Fury Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, I played Witcher 2 as well but at 1366x768 instead of 1080p, I tried both resolutions but didn't notice much difference. This thing runs Kerbal Space Program and Kingdoms of Amalur at 1080p just fine though. I'm okay with the "subpar" gaming performance since I'm primarily a console gamer anyway and I mainly got this thing to do photo processing.

However I just noticed that Lenovo Canada has added the Y50 in their line up and a Y50 with i7 4710, 16GB RAM, 512SSD and GTX 860M w/ 4GB only costs $1600. Damn, can't help but feel a bit of buyer's remorse now lol.

8. borse2008

borse2008 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    First Impressions: Love the laptop its definitely in my opinion the best looking XPS. Insanely quick. keyboard is very nice to use, many ports really happy with it all.

Cons:

Touchpad can be a bit flakey and getting used to it can take a while i do miss separate buttons for the clicks.

Bar that getting to the resolution takes time to. Just wish 8.1 is more refined, still not a polished OS like XP or windows 7

9. rotraspher1986

rotraspher1986 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    you guys have to see that the lenovo clearly doesnt have that good a build quality plus its more heavy,its battery life isnt that good either just a 4 cell battery.then yet there is no 4k display either...and most of all they are selling it for a lower price just coz it might be a TN panel anyway and its an antiglare screen which mostly just sucks....so in short not a good quality display either...dell xps has the most colour accurate display contrast is 1660:1 and dells price is definitely high due to its display.....so in short if gaming was ur primary target then yes u shud have a remorse but if build quality screen quality battery timing alll these matter to u more i have no question that dell beats lenovo all the way....

10. desm0nd

desm0nd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There are a ton of pages in this thread and so I am going to ask some questions regarding my new Dell XPS and hope someone can help 

1. Touch Pad Issue 1 – If I try to click the bottom edge of the left click button, it doesn’t work. I have to click more towards the middle of the left click button. Is anyone else having this issue? If so, how do I fix it? Is this a defect? Can I get Dell to fix it by replacing the touchpad?
    2. Touch Pad Issue 2 – I had the touchpad on my old laptop where the buttons were separate from the touchpad. Now with the new touchpad, and I try to have my fingers on the buttons while using the touchpad, it doesn’t work properly. Is it not supposed to be multi touch? Shouldn’t I be able to have my fingers on the buttons slightly but also mousing around the top part of the touchpad? Is this a defect as well? Can I get dell to fix it?
    3. Switching to a SSD – I have the 1TB/32GB ssd.. Would it be worth it to switch the 32gb for a 512gb ssd. Is this possible? Or Do I have to switch the 1tb for a 512gb ssd? I am a noob at computers, so how much faster will this be? I would rather not spend the money but if the performance is much better then I will.

Hope my questions make sense haha and thanks for your help in advance
    Thanks!