XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. borse2008

borse2008 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think your missing a massive plus as well if your an IT geek and pro, is the dell is easily customisable too. Meaning take the back panel off and change or tweak what you need to without stripping back the whole laptop.

I cant really see any pros or likes for the Y50 your comparing why its better bar the GPU.

Dell after sales support is very very good from experience and drivers accessible and software.

2. borse2008

borse2008 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. nMIK-3

nMIK-3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What's not to compare? Both are almost in the same category, high-end, slim, 15.6 inch 4K Touch based laptops.
    The differences I mention are about 99% of the complete list. Each has both advantages and weaknesses.
    Choose which one is better for you, but they are totally comparable. In fact if you follow both forums you will find A LOT of people that are between these two models right now.

Lenovo is as easily customizable, but if you get the SSD and 16GB configuration, there is nothing else left to add in the future.

4. darrenham

darrenham Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Having a bit of an issue with mine at the moment, three times in the last couple of days I've had the machine fail to recover from sleep when the lid is opened.

Instead I have to press the power button and I'll then find the "OS did not shutdown cleanly" (or something along those lines) and then "checking X, checking Y, etc." box pops up on the dell screen and when windows loads it's lost my session entirely.

What could be the cause of this? I shut the lid a lot to put it to sleep, and it's never happened until a couple of days ago and now it's happening quite frequently. Worth a call to Dell or is there anything I should check first?

Worth mentioning I do not have RapidStart active at all, so it should be going into a true sleep, I'm also 100% sure this isn't because of battery capacity as it just did it twice while connected to AC Power...

5. Mihael Keehl

Mihael Keehl Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does anyone know how I can order an extended size cell battery for this laptop? I have a 6-cell one right now.

6. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    On the Y50:

- Lack of DisplayPort means you can't drive external 4K displays @ 60 Hz, which is kind of a bummer from a futureproofing standpoint. And if its HDMI output isn't HDMI 1.4, then you can't drive 4K even at 24-30 Hz. Also, having only HDMI out means that you can only drive a single external display, whereas having DisplayPort means that just you could drive anywhere from 1 to 6 external displays off that single DisplayPort connection (using daisy-chaining displays or an MST hub). Or if you don't want to deal with that, at least having both DP and HDMI means you can drive two external displays with no fuss.

- The numpad is either a blessing or a curse; on the one hand, it's convenient if you'd use it frequently, but if you won't, then its presence forces you to sit off-center relative to the display, which many find irritating (and which is why many laptops don't have numpads even when space is available).

- There's also no indication of whether any of the Y50's USB ports remain powered while the system is off; that's really become a killer feature for me, especially on the XPS since ALL of its USB ports work that way.

- There are no real-world impressions from it yet, e.g. how is the build quality, keyboard and touchpad feel, etc. For all we know the Y50 will have its own coil whine type of issue.

- And I'm sorry, but the fact that the Y50 weighs 5.3 lbs and is 0.9" thick (with little to no apparent taper) puts it in a completely different class of system IMHO -- which explains why it can have a faster GPU. That's not just "a little heavier and bulkier". Lenovo bills the Y50 as a gaming laptop. Dell's XPS brand USED to mean gaming (until Dell bought Alienware), but now it's a moniker to describe their top-end offerings from a design, feature, and all-around performance standpoint.

I'm not saying that there's no value to comparing these two systems, but they're pretty clearly aimed at different markets, so it's not entirely apples to apples.

I also wouldn't consider the XPS 15's speakers very good. MaxxAudio "enhancements" mask a lot of the disappointing performance, but they do it by grossly exaggerating the bass. It seems to help the built-in speakers a bit, but it makes external speakers sound awful, and MaxxAudio applies to both the built-in speakers and whatever is attached to the headset jack.

7. darrenham

darrenham Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You'd have to buy it off someone with the top-tier model as it's not available elsewhere.

You'd also have to get rid of your physical harddrive.

8. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You'd have to call Dell Spare Parts, but thus far nobody has been successful getting either battery size sold to them. The last time anyone posted about it was quite a while ago though, so you may as well give it a shot. The exact part number is somewhere in either this thread or the M3800 thread, which might make your life easier when dealing with them.

9. Adidas4275

Adidas4275 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have been using mine 3 weeks ago and mine doesn't whine. I have asked about 10 people to listen for it, there is hope.

10. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015