XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    left is smooth, right is coated. both have just had a clean prior to the pic.

the old ones beyond cleaning now, as you can see it is scratched. the new ones come up like new again. not that it was that dirty anyway due to the lack of coating to come off.
    The old ones had 5 weeks use.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/78176307@N02/14136450211/sizes/l

2. darrenham

darrenham Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine's glass, you can even see that the separator between the left and right button is set deep within (possibly behind) the glass.

It's very low friction, until you get dust or grit on it, when it becomes a pain in the ****.

3. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Interesting, thanks!! My laptop definitely has that divider line in the lower portion of the touchpad, and it looks like the coated one doesn't, unless that's just a trick of the light on that photo? In that case I guess I have the better trackpad.

4. 227

227 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi everybody; I'm really excited to be getting my XPS 15 next week!

I have two quick questions:
    1) Is the 750m soldered onto the motherboard like MBP/ 502x preventing the swap?
    2) 750m and overclocking - I have read many contradicting posts whether it voids or does not void warranty - anybody has any experience with this particular line? - Or is it the "just don't get caught if something breaks thing". If possible - any advice on that.

Just a note - I understand what kind of laptop I'm getting - I love the form factor, screen size, design, portability and basically everything else about XPS 15, just wish it was tiny bit more powerful in the graphics area :) (would gladly pay extra for the 765m/860m). I have considered GS60/new blade 14 - but the lack of extended international warranty (both - unless doing xotic or something like that), the design (GS60 - i need a professional looking machine) and price/availability (Razer) rendered these impossible for me.

Thank you for your help and time!

5. Mihael Keehl

Mihael Keehl Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I decided to take out the 1TB HDD that came with my laptop and I want to use the Samsung 840 EVO 2.5" 500GB drive instead. I've installed it and put Windows 8.1 on it and the whole shabang. My only issue is that each time I switch over to the ACHI mode in the BIOS settings, the laptop won't start properly, how can I fix this error?

6. gdir13

gdir13 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure that it is soldered onto the motherboard. We had bluescreens because of a faulty 750m. The onsite support changed the whole mainboard.

7. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    trick of the light, i will try and take a pic with the flash later to see if that helps.

cpu and gpu are solder mount due to the ultra form factor so the only thing you can swaps the ram.

8. 227

227 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you gdir & Gonzo for the answers! Appreciate the confirmation.

Any word on overclocking the 750?

9. doug23

doug23 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can forget overclocking, this laptop already overheats with the stock clocks. You have to keep in mind that it has a form factor that does not allow a good ventilation, it is clearly not made for that.

10. Ashers

Ashers Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Strange - mine seems to be something between the two. I also have the lower divider marked on the trackpad. It's not as rubbery as rest of the surface of the laptop, but when I rub my fingernails along the trackpad, it's not as smooth as glass.

Separate question,the region which is the right-click area is much smaller than what is marked on the trackpad. Is that something that can be changed using software? I've searched on google and can't find anything.