XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. LibraXPS159530

LibraXPS159530 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just for my peace of mind, can you try playing Skyrim for 10 minutes while the laptop is on your lap and at an angle? By angle, I mean it shouldn't be parallel to your floor. I know it sounds stupid, but I want to believe that my laptop is defect free.

2. james_earl_pwns

james_earl_pwns Newbie

Reputations:
    Sure, ill test it out when I get home from work.

LibraXPS159530 likes this.
  3. james_earl_pwns

james_earl_pwns Newbie

Reputations:
    Out of curiosity, do you have the SSD or the Hybrid HD?

4. LibraXPS159530

LibraXPS159530 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The full SSD one. I bought back in December 2013.

5. Caucasian_Fury

Caucasian_Fury Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What settings are you running the games at? I'm playing Witcher 2 at 1366x768 at medium settings... no throttling at all with over 2 hours straight of gaming on a wooden table surface. I also have the A04 BIOS, did you flash yours? The A03 update was supposed to address throttling.

6. ZephirSt

ZephirSt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone!

Owner of a top-spec model from December here, need to report and ask for advice about a couple of issues:

- Battery: Sometimes happens that, even if I have been working with the charger on for several hours, when I unplug it the battery goes empty or close to. Like from "100% fully charged, plugged in" to "25%" just by removing the charger. Maybe I did not really pay attention at it before, but in the past couple of weeks this happened 3 times already. Moreover, monitoring softwares show a wear level of 9% already, after 4 months of usage.

- SSD: I am not very knowledgeable about SSDs, but as far as I know, this value of "Wear Leveling Count", in relation with the total amount of writes, is not a good sign - especially for such a "young" SSD. Anyone can shed some light here?
    ssd.png

7. doug23

doug23 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Your battery seems to be dead or the charging circuit, as for the SSD I don't think it is a good measure, a good measure would be the total amount of data written than you can view in samsung magician if your SSD is recognized.

8. JPBJ

JPBJ Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The computer is designed to only be cooled effectively if placed on a stable and level surface. It will not be able to keep up with the thermal demands of gaming while on your lap, or other soft/unstable surface, or while suspended in the air.

Instead of suggesting that others try and force their computers to throttle by using them inappropriately, you could try gaming on a level, hard surface (as has been recommended in this thread many times already), and see what the result is. ;)

hfm likes this.
  9. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Someone else has seen that battery behavior in the Precision M3800 thread a few times. I don't think he's identified the culprit or called Dell about it yet. Definitely shouldn't be happening though.

As for the SSD, according to a thread that, granted, pertains to Lite-On/Plextor SSDs whereas you might have a Samsung, that metric is just how many blocks of 64MB data have been written to the disk. SSDs are constantly performing wear leveling in order to, well, level out wear, so that number is only ever going to increase while you use the SSD. Maybe it resets when you power cycle, I'm not sure. Either way, that's totally normal. Thread: My M5pro wear leveling count problem. - Plextor.

10. yymg

yymg Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys!

Is anyone else getting the following error message: USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend when running powecfg /energy?

I have enabled selective suspend in the power options :/

My battery is suddenly lasting a lot shorter, so I'm trying to figure out what might be the cause. Would really appreciate it if someone else could try running the powercfg /energy command as well and report back if you're getting the same error as above.