XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. johnyguy

johnyguy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i saw the yoga 2 as well and i think it looked gorgeous compared to anything else in the store.

2. mheuer818

mheuer818 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Having also used the Retina MBP with Windows 8.1, I can say that screen real estate is all about scaling. Have you tried 8.1 on your rMBP? Windows 8.1 does a MUCH better job scaling than 8 did. I think Windows looks fantastic when it's scaled right in this high of rez.

Here's my rMBP not scaled at 2880x1800.

[​IMG]

And here it is with the scaling I use.

[​IMG]

While Windows looks great, the same can't be said for applications. Chrome is a good example. It doesn't handle the scaling on this well at all. Everything is just a touch blurry. Setting the resolution to 1900x1200 or 1680x1050 helps with that a bit, but until Windows applications catch up to screens like this you're going to find that some don't look good at all.

But hey, with 4K up-and-coming hopefully everything will catch up soon. 10 years sound good?

3. lancorp

lancorp Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes, I am familiar because I do run Windows 7 under Bootcamp with my rMBP. I agree with Chrome and other apps looking fuzzy, and many other things are so teeny tiny it's ridiculous.

Curious how you went about doing 8.1 on your rMBP...Bootcamp? If so, did you need any special drivers or is there a Windows 8.1 Bootcamp now? Are you running Mavericks as your OS X? What scaling values did you use?

Thanks!

4. Epic Caesura

Epic Caesura Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's a killer price (although it seems to be $1199 online), and I think it's going to force a lot of other companies to drop the prices on their premium laptops. An i7/8/256 "high-end" laptop has been sitting firmly at around $1500 for awhile now, and here's Lenovo slapping everyone around at $300 less, with an 1800p display. I found the build quality of the first Yoga to be kind of bleh (creaky, with a lot of flex), but even if the new one is the same it offers fantastic value for the specs.

5. lancorp

lancorp Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    In-store there was $50 off that price. It does seem a rather affordable price considering CPU, SSD, and display are all high(er) end components. I might go back and spend more time looking at it.
    I had a coffee-maker in my arms and a wife waiting out in the car, so I couldn't waste much time. :)

6. mheuer818

Reputations:
    Yeah just went through Bootcamp Assistant with a Windows 8 Pro iso and a USB 3.0 stick I had, then updated to 8.1 using the Windows Store (stupidest process ever. !@$!@ Microsoft). Apple added Windows 8 support in Bootcamp 5. No issues with drivers or anything although I did download the actual nvidia driver from their website and the touchpad is a little hypersensitive when it comes to touch-to-click. I tried using Parallels and Fusion to run Windows but found that actually booting into Windows worked so much better and lets me play some games as well.

Yes I'm running Mavericks. Not a huge change for me. Haven't seen a noticeable improvement in battery life, though I don't spend much time booted into OSX so that's hard to say. Reason I'm getting the XPS 15 and selling the MBP is it spends most of it's time in Windows for school stuff (Visual Studio and various forensics programs) and I would like to have more than 3.5 hours of battery when using Windows. Other big gripe is when I have to use the Thunderbolt-Ethernet adapter on Windows (school WiFi sucks). Thunderbolt isn't Windows plug-and-play so you have to remember to plug it in before booting. Also can't sleep the computer once it's booted with that plugged in. So that's annoying.

I've actually never decided on a permanent resolution/scaling ratio. On plain Windows 8 I'd run it in 2880x1800 for a while, then drop to 1680x1050 for a while. On 8.1 now at full res I use the second-highest scaling option on the slider and leave unchecked the "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays". I haven't tried a lower res because this seems to work well for me.

scalingoptions_zpscc9d5f4f.png

7. mheuer818

Reputations:
    I'm the unfortunate person that wants a dedicated gpu in his Ultrabook. Guess that means a $300-$400 premium? Hmm I could buy another GTX 660Ti for my desktop for that....

Edit: I just saw your post on page one and wanted to see RDC on 8.1....

[​IMG]

I guess there's a hotfix that will let you scale Server 2008 from the RDC but we haven't applied it yet. Server 2012 seems to have built-in scaling options, don't know about any other OSs.

8. IceManKent

IceManKent Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This laptop seems great, except it is too bad that Dell does not offer the choice to have the i7 version come with a 1920x1080 display.
    I would hate having to "squint" to read text all the time, or be constantly "re-sizing" things just to use the laptop as I normally would.
    If you change the native resolution of the QHD down to 1920x1080, would everything look "fuzzy" or would the high pixel density compensate for this, and actually produce sharp images and text ?
    I guess we won't find out until this thing comes out and the reviews start to pour in.
    And now we wait ...

9. hazelwood

hazelwood Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Im pretty sure you just set the DPI scaling to what you want. I think what that means is that if you set it to 200% for example (you can choose any value) it looks like 1600x900 but has the sharpness of 3200x1800.

10. wickeddeus

wickeddeus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    From the review of the M3800(pretty much the same laptop) the high pixel density makes lowing the resolution on this screen like an old CRT so it doesn't have the fuzziness and continues to have a sharp image. I haven't confirmed this in person or seen it in a video so just word of mouth so far. Seems promising and logical though.