XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    one speakers offset to allow the HDD room.

2. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Go to support.dell.com, select your system, and download the Owner's Manual. It has instructions for installing and removing every component. If you don't already have a Torx T5 screwdriver I'm not really sure how you got your laptop open (at least without stripping the screw heads...), but just buy this and you'll never have to worry about not having the right bit for working on consumer electronics again: 54 Bit Driver Kit - iFixit. If you're not familiar with iFixIt, they're awesome. Or if you just want a Torx T5 driver, try your local hardware store, or somewhere like Ace Hardware or maybe even Sears.

And please for the sake of our continued civilization and society, don't every use the non-word "tryna" again. I died a little inside reading that. :(

I saw that on a different Dell system and it turned out to be because the tiny speaker connector was seated just slightly incorrectly on the motherboard. Disconnecting and reconnecting it solved the issue. The easiest test for me to confirm the problem (and successful fix) was to go to Control Panel > Sounds, select the built-in speakers, and run the Test chime you have in the tab that allows you to set the sampling frequency and bit rate. That should very clearly play the same sound at the same volume from two very obviously different sides of the machine. On that other system, before the fix the left channel sounded fine, but the right channel was weak and sounded like it was partly coming from the left channel.

No change. You still get some coil whine when the system is plugged in and not charging, regardless of whether it's at 100% and not charging or some other level and not charging because of custom battery configurations (which now work).

Chrome still isn't completely fixed, even with the config file hack applied. Try Firefox in the meantime.

3. Crotia

Crotia Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone else notice extreme lag when using firefox? Even things like facebook chat lag at times. Even worse, sometimes the browser stops responding for ~10 sec at a time...I'm not sure if it has something to do with flash or some sort of plugin. Seems weird for such a powerful machine

adlerhn likes this.
  4. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've recently started seeing that on another system I have (which I use more often anyway since it's my work system), so I'm betting it's either Flash or Firefox. It's hugely irritating, but I haven't had time to investigate root cause.

5. seancho

seancho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Interesting. You mean Intel(R)_USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller_Driver? That may be useful for me. I have a USB wireless adapter that works fine up to W8, but is useless in W8.1. What did you do, edit mup.xml? Can you post the modifications you made that allow the W7 drivers to install?

6. Crazysah

Crazysah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The WiFi problem is still strange. Works well on the other side of the building but really slowish in my room/right outside my room. Works well mostly all over campus. I am graduating and leaving in just over a month. Should I be worried about this? Try to get a replacement?
    Is there a way to test this sort of thing?

7. adlerhn

adlerhn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I do, when scrolling with feedly, which causes very laggy scroll and low-pitched CPU/GPU noise.

Most if not all other websites are fine. I wonder what is different in that one.

8. adlerhn

adlerhn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I didn't notice anything. Using Ubuntu Trusty. Sometimes I put the cores to do some custom processing based on OpenCV, for many hours. No crash whatsoever.

Maybe I am not hitting "the" button? Or maybe your flash of A03 was not correct? (unlikely, but you may want to give it another try, just in case).

No change in my side, other than the battery options.

9. GNUDell

GNUDell Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As I wrote, still had no problems after downgrading from the A03 to the A02 bios.
    But thank you for the idea: You could be right with the idea of a second flashing! It had been strange, that the first time I flashed the A03 bios, even the first boot afterwards the fans continued to be on full power (THAT full power one just have when flashing).

Therfore maybe something had been wrong. Now I reflashed from A02 to A03 and the fans behaved also at the first boot afterwards normally. So I will report, if I get again unstability with the A03 bios. ...... but I guess you COULD be right, that the flash was not good and therefore maybe some internal settings (no one knows, what all chipset settings dell hides from us) was faulty. ... let's see!

10. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I wouldn't worry about it. Even if you did call Dell, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't replace your WiFi card just because you have a bad signal in one specific area. As for testing, you could watch your signal strength with something like InSSIDer as you walked around to see whether it drops off a cliff in your room. If it does, then it's probably just something involving the design of the 7260AC and/or its drivers that causes it not to perform well in an area where other clients might work fine. But it definitely doesn't suggest a problem with your specific unit IMHO.