XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    With a modded inf it is possible to install the latest win7 intel usb 3 on win 8.1. I just did that and am going to check whether that will let me use the att beam.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

2. skillit

skillit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    can someone help pls

so im tryna take off the wifi card, anyone have any tips on how to? I opened the laptop up and saw that theres a screw and some wires. some help pls
    and where do they sell these TX5 screwdrivers ?

3. adlerhn

adlerhn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For Ubuntu/Mint users, the nightly version of Cinnamon has the enhanced HiDPI support included out of the box (no more tweaks required).

4. loui100

loui100 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Here's something interesting: when I have the laptop closed (working on external monitor) and I play a game a bit, turning the fan up, after turning the game off, the fan just won't stop spinning at max capacity until I open the laptop (turn on the in-built display). Any ideas?

5. nk2013

nk2013 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The area between the screen hinge and the base, there are vents for air to pass out of the machine. If you have a look there, you can see the grills. The reason the fans are spinning at max while the lid is closed is because they are trying to push the air out and when you open the lid, the fans will gradually slow down because the hot air now has somewhere to escape from.

6. Crazysah

Crazysah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does anyone else notice how the sound from the speakers at the bottom of the laptop seems to only come out from one side? Or is that only me?

7. loui100

loui100 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks, that makes sense.

On another note - has anybody noticed any improvement in coil whine after bios update to A03? I've read some opinions claiming it reduced / eliminated the coil whine. Not for me, alas.

8. darrenham

darrenham Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone found a way to sort the chrome fonts out yet?

Everything else about Chrome I love, but the fonts give me a headache after a while.

Tried switching to IE, but whilst the fonts were gorgeous, I found having an extra bar at the top of the screen really impacted on the amount of a webpage you get to see, and the scrolling was horrible when using the touchpad.

9. pintycar

pintycar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you mean that Chrome doesn't render text at the native resolution? You can fix that by doing the following:
    1) Go to chrome://flags/ and enable HiDPI support.
    2) Right click Chrome's shortcut and go to compatibility and tick the "disable display scaling on high DPI settings".

Enjoy

10. pintycar

pintycar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Only you. I can clearly notice stereo sound coming from both sides of the bottom grill.