XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. GNUDell

GNUDell Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    WARNING: A03 bios may be unstable!​

At the moment I use this laptop constantly for 16h/day. I spend days on the problem of crashing inkscape under my linux. Tried so many compilations of kernels and other inkscape, libs and everything. But always after some hours I got a complete kernel system freeze!!
    As experienced linux users know, a complete freeze is rare and 99% hint to hardware problems, I still had my linux install and packages in mind.

Since days I tried everything to fix the problem. Freezes occurred after hour again. Then today I was so p*** off that I completely wiped everything. Set-up my linux install completly new. No migration of home or anything.
    Freezes again after ours pushing Inkscape to RAM consumptions of some Gigabytes and heavy loads for the CPU.

Then I remembered, an came to the point, that all my problems began with the day also installing the A03 bios (under Win7). Today about 4 hours ago I reverted back to the A02 bios (cry no batt management). Until now, I had no system freeze.

So people: If there is anybody out there (power-user, muuuuch RAM and muuch CPU on playing or working, win or linux) who experienced also unexplainable issues/freezes since the A03 bios. Please post!
    Since the ACPI information and address conflicts are still buggy in the A03 bios it may be also a problem where linux can be more sensitive. But I had had a stable system before A03 bios, and now back on A02 again stable.

p.s.
    If I will get any freeze again since downgrading to A02, I will update this post!
    ---my old posts with some information about PSU (page 360) and somewhere the thing's I tried with intel XTU--
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/735403-xps-15-haswell-owners-lounge-360.html
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/735403-xps-15-haswell-owners-lounge-455.html
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/735403-xps-15-haswell-owners-lounge-289.html
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/del...3-xps-15-haswell-owners-lounge-294-print.html
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/del...3-xps-15-haswell-owners-lounge-266-print.html
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/735403-xps-15-haswell-owners-lounge-455.html
    [/QUOTE]

zakazak and prplhaz4 like this.
  2. zakazak

zakazak www.whymacsucks.com

Reputations:
    No problems for me so far on Windows 8.1 x64. I constantly have 8GB+ RAM usage and on top of that do photo/video editing or play games/what so ever. Sometimes I also run virtual machines with 6+GB RAM dedicated.

No freezing so far.

3. Crazysah

Crazysah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can anyone else help me on my wifi problem?
    Also, is it possible to loose charge while the laptop is off? It seems like my laptop is doing just that.

4. QuantumPSI

QuantumPSI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, I am thoroughly confused now.:confused:

Did a few tricks that I mentioned before to get my computer to recognize my samsung phone (galaxy note 2, rooted), but now it won't recognize my samsung tablet (galaxy note 10.1 2014, rooted).

I'm at a complete loss here. Both show up in the device manager when connected, but only the phone (galaxy note 2) shows up in "my computer".

Has anyone figured the USB issue? It's definitely related to the connect/re-connect problem. I'm inclined to think this is a driver problem since I was able to get my phone to work and my tablet did work perfectly fine until I rooted it. Don't know what the deal is here...

And while I'm thinking about it... is there a way to control the power output of the USBs? Or at least know if they're putting out .5A or 2A?

5. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is mentioned on the XPS 15 Wiki, but try disabling Intel Smart Connect and Intel Rapid Start. Also make sure wake timers are disabled in your Power Options. A few other people have noticed this, and it seems to be that one or more of those things is causing their system to spontaneously wake up and then go back to sleep.

You're inclined to think your problem is related to a disconnect/reconnect issue because it started after you made a software change on your phone? I don't follow your logic there.... Sounds to me like rooting your tablet caused it to no longer present itself as a mass storage device, which is why it no longer appears in My Computer. Either that or the mass storage file system it's presenting isn't one that Windows reads, like a typical Linux file system. If it's the former, I believe Android has a way to manage what function(s) the device presents to its host when connected via USB though, like "Charge Only", "Disk Mode", etc. If it's the latter, opening Computer Management > Disk Management should reveal your tablet listed in the lower half of the main window with at least one partition of an unknown format, which is why it's not actually mounting. If that's the case, I'm not sure what to do.

As for the power output, I don't know of a way to monitor it. Limiting it would require hacking the USB controller driver, but as far as controlling it goes, I believe the connected device gets to draw the amount of power it wants, up to the maximum the host will supply; the host system can't "force feed" a device extra power.

6. techtonic

techtonic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Others have said that they had hair or an eyelash under the monitor and I laughed and then when I got mine, there was a small piece of lint or something under the monitor. I asked for an exchange and hopefully it won't have any debris. It's amazing that this happens. Where are they putting these laptops together? Outside?

I got the coil whine but it's not too disturbing for me. It doesn't always happen and it's way quieter than my old XPS 15 (1502x) with an on-off-on-off fan and hard drive.

7. QuantumPSI

QuantumPSI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The reason I say it's the connect/reconnect issue is because that was the original problem I intended to fix. Everything that has happened so far is a result of my efforts to fix the connect/reconnect issue, thus, I'm hoping/thinking that if that is fixed, I can undo everything I've done and things will be ok. What I've done so far is just a bandaid (ie an imperfect solution that is not consistent).

As far as the power goes for the USB, the reason I ask is because when I plug it into my tablet, I get an 'X' over the battery indicator, indicating that it's not charging. Considering that the stock charger puts out 2A and these USB ports are supposed to put out 2A, makes me wonder what they're outputting at a given point.

8. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    it could give 20 amps and still show a red x as the data pins do not have the resistor fitted that you get in samsung chargers to say "I am a samsung high power charger" It may well be charging at 2A but the X will still show.

9. Mihael Keehl

Mihael Keehl Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's a good point, although if I do end up getting the Sager, it would only be for the color changing keyboard lol

10. loui100

loui100 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm actually keeping this one, I think, simply because i'm going abroad soon and I don't want to risk getting sth even worse (like stuck pixels). The lint/dust is barely noticable actually. 3-4 bad pixels kinda mee off, though. Only one is kinda noticable, though, and not a big issue. But I'm seriously disgusted with Dell. This is my third display...all with defects. This is bloody ridiculous.