XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I had the same, I found using the cable that came with my phone fixed the problem. Maybe USB3 allows faster charging messing up the signal, thats all I could come up with.

Does the single USB2 port work ok ?

2. joker97

joker97 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    first issue is laptop will not induce sleep after a few days without rebooting.

2nd issue is topaz lens effect not working.

i have tried to boot into USB but failing.
    - disabled secure boot
    - enabled legacy rom

i don't know which file to choose to boot (bootmgr.efi is my original thought but it does not boot into install environment. is it possible it won't allow 2 installations of windows 8.1 64 bit?)

3. adlerhn

adlerhn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've had similar problems with an USB 2.0 external hard drive. You could try a different USB plug, such as the 2.0 one, or maybe a different cable as suggested by GoNz0.

In my case, I got a new hard drive enclosure (USB 3.0), which completely fixed the issue.

4. tapchicoma

tapchicoma Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, anyone successfully update bios from DOS?

I tried MS-DOS and FreeDOS, but everytime i get "this program cannot be run in DOS mode". Also tried WinPE, but without success too.

5. adlerhn

adlerhn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can it be done at all? My understanding is that the BIOS update program is a Windows-only one. No DOS, no Linux support.

6. tapchicoma

tapchicoma Newbie

Reputations:
    At least on my previous notebook (latitude 6510) i successfully updated bios using usb key with DOS.

7. QuantumPSI

QuantumPSI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Posted before on this...

adlerhn likes this.
  8. loui100

loui100 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok can somebody confirm to me whether your fan is also on during normal browsing (with power plugged in)?

Also what's the best way to monitor temps on this laptop?

9. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    USB 3.0 allows 4x as much current as USB 2.0 (2A vs 500mA), which is why devices can charge so much faster or devices with higher power requirements can now be bus-powered. However, I noticed that my PS3 controllers SEEMED to complete their charging faster, but would also then die a lot faster, so maybe their circuitry doesn't handle fast charging very well. Maybe something like that is going on here. My iPhone seems to handle it just fine though, but then again the AC adapter that Apple sells is 1A, so they were clearly designed to handle more than the USB spec anyway.

Using the USB 2.0 port might not solve the problem either since some USB 2.0 ports were designed to provide USB 3.0 levels of current. Apple started doing that on their systems when they released the iPad (which requires 2A to charge rather than simply maintain charge level), and some other manufacturers followed suit. And I think I remember testing an iPad on this system's USB 2.0 port and seeing it actually charge.

No idea what topaz lens effect is, but did you follow the guide on the XPS 15 Wiki for creating boot media? Did you also read the article I put up there about how to solve inability to boot from USB? When done correctly you don't need to manually specify a boot file.

I think you're stuck. Dell usually does provide Linux updaters, but maybe not for systems that they don't sell or support on Linux. DOS worked on older systems but it seems not to anymore. Got a spare hard drive you can throw a copy of Windows 7 onto? I mention Windows 7 specifically because it's the only version that always allowed you to install it without entering a product key. XP didn't allow that until SP3 and even then only if it was specified as volume license media. Then again, 8.1 could work too given that you presumably have an 8.1 key embedded into your system.

10. tapchicoma

tapchicoma Newbie

Reputations:
    Seems you are right. Will try to make Win8 installation on usb flash using PWBoot.