XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. loui100

loui100 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Regarding the coil whine - it's actually astounding that with 2 motherboard replacements, each one only made matters worse. Now the typical constant whine is not so much audible as the "stuttering" sound that accompanies every activity (e.g. website loading). I think it's the RAM. It's really loud, like an old hard drive. All in all, an advice to all - think twice before having your MB replaced - it might only worsen the situation. Now I don't feel as though I have an SSD drive at all. And I'm moving abroad in 2 weeks so I no longer have time for servicing. This thing stays....

adlerhn likes this.
  2. w3thax

w3thax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have this and more sounds since the beginning. They even don't want to replace anything related to the sound in Germany.

adlerhn likes this.
  3. loui100

loui100 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Probably rightly so, as it doesn't seem replacements bring any improvement. I did notice that the effect varies greatly from MB to MB. It's always there - but with a slight vaiation. I assume it's because different components/parts are affected by the cheap electronics used. In Poland they are clueless. They just replace at blind and return the product as "repaired".

4. Crazysah

Crazysah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've tried that too. This is literally only a problem in my room and no where else. I've tried a few other locations inside my building and around campus. It's really strange.

5. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe your laptop is the only one of the devices you have that supports the 5 GHz band (or is the only one choosing it in your room). If your college's Wifi broadcasts the same SSID on both 2.4 and 5 GHz (not an uncommon setup), then your system might be trying to use 5 GHz, which generally allows higher throughput with the tradeoff of less range and ability to pass through walls. If there's something about the area around your room that creates a problem for 5 GHz but not 2.4, that could be your answer. If you download a WiFi site scanning app like InSSIDer you'll be able to see if your college's Wifi is broadcasting on both bands, as well as what band you're connected to. You can also go into Device Manager and the Advanced tab of your Wi-Fi card and set the Preferred Band to 2.4 GHz. Unfortunately there isn't a way to specify that you only want to prefer 2.4 GHz for that specific Wi-Fi SSID.

6. Crazysah

Reputations:
    I downloaded the software. Got this result:
    [​IMG]

Seems like it is only the 2.4Ghz band.
    Thoughts?

Edit: Another problem I have is that the mute, decrease volume and increase volume buttons have been reversed. Whenever I press F1 now, it brings me to the help menu instead of muting the laptop. I have to press fn + F1 to mute now. Anyway to reverse this back?

7. loui100

loui100 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Press FN+ESC. This will reverse the function of the "function" keys.

8. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well there goes that theory. Sorry man, all out of ideas at least for the time being.

The previous post was right about Fn+Esc determining how your F keys behave. This can also be configured in Windows Mobility Center (if Quickset is installed) and the BIOS. I personally like keeping the F keys as F keys because if you learn keyboard shortcuts you can be immensely more productive. For example, F2 is rename, which works on Windows files and folders as well as Excel cells (and lots of other places). Then there's Alt+F4 and the even more useful but less known Ctrl+F4. And of course F5 is refresh in browsers.

There's a great introductory list here: Microsoft Windows shortcut keys. If you can train yourself to use these, you'll be amazed how much time you save not having to move your hands over to a mouse/touchpad and then move the cursor to something you want to click. Instead you can just type the keyboard shortcut and it happens. My friends are constantly amazed at how fast I can work on a PC and the fact that I almost never touch the mouse. Few of them realize (until I tell them) that I can work that quickly BECAUSE I minimize use of the mouse.

Another godsend: Alt-D highlights the Address bar in Web browsers. And on Firefox, hitting Tab after that would highlight the Google search box. If you live in a browser like I do, that one comes in handy constantly. Then Ctrl+T of course opens a new tab, and Ctrl+F4 would close it. Ctrl+Tab cycles forward through tabs and Ctrl+Shift+Tab would cycle backwards. Ok, I'll stop now. :)

9. edfungus

edfungus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone do any android development? The usb ports are going crazy with my phone disconnecting and reconnecting all the time and messing up adb. I know the usb thing has been talked about but I haven't found any fixes yet :/

10. Crazysah

Reputations:
    Oh wow. This is damn helpful. Thanks a ton.
    The Wi-Fi is really getting on my nerves because it is working almost flawlessly. Just not in my room and not in one or two other areas of the campus. Everything else on this laptop is great so far.

Anyone else here have any ideas on the Wi-Fi issue?