XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. fernandez.alexander

fernandez.alexander Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I set my scaling to 166% and every works perfectly except for chrome. The text on chrome look fuzzy and don't look like QHD+. I now switched to Firefox and it works awesomely and the text is so sharp !

2. Nate Finch

Nate Finch Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Cold temperatures kill battery life. 8c isn't hugely cold, but its definitely below the average operating temperature these things are supposed to work at. Would that drop it to 1/3rd or less of normal capacity? It seems doubtful. Certainly very cold temperatures (freezing and below) could do that (photographers shooting outside in the winter can see that kind of a drop). 8c is not so cold that I would expect it to make that dramatic of a difference, plus I'm sure it's warmer than that inside your laptop.

Double check everything (brightness, bluetooth, any applications running consistently above 0% CPU in task manager).. 55C at idle for the CPU seems high, that's 47 degrees above room temperature! Imagine if the room was 30 degrees instead.

Do all your homework, and if you still can't figure it out, call Dell. That's definitely not acceptable for the large battery.

3. Doutchie

Doutchie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a few questions for all of you experts. I'm really liking the idea of swapping out the 32Gb mSATA for a bigger drive to boot from. I would like to install Windows 8.1 and the Adobe CC suite (and other smaller software).

My questions :

1. What is a reasonable size for doing this? (Price/capacity)
    2. Which brand would you recommend?
    3. Can I install some software on the other HDD? (I am waiting for the mid-tier model with the 1TB drive)

4. moda

moda Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You're best going with as big a drive as your budget can afford. You can get MSATA SSDs from 32gb -> 512gb. To be honest, 120/128gb is the probably the smallest i'd go. ~250/256gb is probably the best bang for buck at the moment. For SSDs to perform at peak function they need to have at least 20% free (for TRIM and other garbage collection technologies to work properly.... roughly). I can tell you now, the 256GB SSD I have in my PC right now, is using 70gb. That is W8.1+PhotoshopCC/Lightroom5/PremiereCC/IllustratorCC/IndesignCC/AuditionCC/AcrobatPro+Office2010+iTunes/Browsers/etc+AutoCADInventor. I have Steam and all my games installed on a 2nd SSD (~120gb out of 256gb, I'm not running them in RAID0 because they're different brands etc), and I have my documents/photos/everything else stored on a 2x2tb RAID0 array.

So that being said, you could go with a 120gb and be able to have most stuff installed, but you'd be pushing it.

You can install programs on whatever drive you want. It just requires a bit more management etc. You can run some trickery to get windows to use a secondary drive as the users drive.

In terms of brands, Intel, Samsung, Crucial make MSATA SSDs.

5. Nate Finch

Nate Finch Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm doing this. I'd recommend at least 200 gigs. 128 might be fine if you know you won't install much software (like, you're not a gamer, engineer, or programmer).

You can install stuff on a second drive, however, some things just have to be on the OS disk (usually the installer will take care of that itself, though it's not unheard of for software to malfunction when installed on a different drive.. but that should be rare enough not to worry about until it happens).

One thing that you can do is move My Documents, My Pictures, etc to the 1TB drive. There's a setting for it, don't just manually move it. I forget where, but Google will tell you.

As for what to buy, the Mushkin Atlas series gets good reviews. Here's a link to newegg, one of the best places to buy computer parts (you can use their prices as a benchmark of "best price you're likely to get" if nothing else): Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Hard Drives, SSDs, Internal SSDs, mSATA

Quick rundown on SSDs: 4k random read speed is what makes booting and starting applications fast. Sequential read & write speed is what makes copying huge files fast. Generally 90,000 IOPS is the top of the line for 4k read, and 550MB/s is the top sequential read. 70,000 and 400 for those values is totally fine and normal.

6. kashing92

kashing92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    well yeah, 10C outside isn't 10C internally. and the battery was crap before it got cold, it's just worse now after actually charging.

wasn't too caught up about the cpu temp because it is a quad, but yeah maybe a little high for such cold room temp.

7. keithop

keithop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've gone for the mid-tier so it'll have the 6 cell battery, 32GB msata, 1TB hd.

I'm thinking of just unplugging the msata and putting in a 1TB SSD. Any advantage to going with a large msata instead ? I know I'd potentially be able to swap to the 9cell at some stage but I'm not too bothered about that.

8. Doutchie

Doutchie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice Nate and Moda. I just ordered the Mushkin Atlas Deluxe 240Gb mSATA from NCIX. It's on sale for 175$ CAN. I will receive it way before my XPS15, since it's still "in production".

9. DrClone

DrClone Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For any users that owns the XPS 15 (3200x1800) right now, is your pixel orientation "alternating" like -.-.-.-. or uses the same LCD pixel orientation that is just tightly packed.

I hope you know what I mean, thanks.

10. HarryGeez

HarryGeez Newbie

Reputations:
    To those lucky owners who have the privilege to use the XPS 15, does the battery life live up to Dell's estimations? If not, how long can I expect it to last unplugged? Thanks.