XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. loui100

loui100 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just got my Dell from repair. Replaced almost every part. Fixed: nothing. Coil whine still there (charging it up right now, but already can hear it). Defective screen replaced with an even more defective screen (4 bad pixels, "hair" under glass, among others). Don't honestly know what to do anymore.

2. Crazysah

Crazysah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I finally got my top-tier model last week and I'm completely loving it. Just last night though, I had one problem. In my room, the wifi wasn't working. It would keep going in and out and even when it came back on, it wasn't loading Web pages properly. My tablet wifi works perfectly fine and so does my Roku device. Also, when I took the laptop to the other side of the buildjng, the wifi worked perfectly fine. I even updated to version 17 but that didn't help.

Any ideas guys?

3. adlerhn

adlerhn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Try disabling the 11n protocol. Works like a charm like that with one of my routers, it was totally unusable otherwise. With other routers I have no issue at all with 11n, so it may be the router's fault.

4. Crazysah

Reputations:
    How do I do that?

5. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Update your router firmware? That's fixed issues for some people. And if you haven't already, depending on your router model and technical proficiency, try an open firmware like DD-WRT or Tomato? They're actively maintained whereas most router vendors stop updating firmware meaningfully or at all not long after product launch, so if you have an old router there may not be any recent firmware updates available from the vendor.

6. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This would limit you to 802.11g, wouldn't it? But the option is in Device Manager under the Advanced tab for your Wi-Fi adapter.

7. Crazysah

Reputations:
    That's always up to date. I'm at college right now. So, that's not the issue. All my other devices work fine.

8. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not really sure how you being at college is relevant unless you're saying you're using your college's Wifi infrastructure, but then I question how you know their Wifi infrastructure's firmware is always up to date. If you're using your own router at college, the fact that your other devices work fine doesn't necessarily rule out your router as a potential cause. There have been router incompatibilities with specific Wifi client chipsets in the past, so this could be a case like that. Also see the suggestion I mentioned above about DD-WRT or Tomato if you're feeling adventurous and you have a supported router.

It would also help if you could provide more information, like what router you have, what firmware you're on, whether you're using 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz, whether you're using 20 MHz or 40 MHz channels, etc.

9. Crazysah

Reputations:
    Well, I'm using my college's wifi. I asked the people who work in IT and they said the firmware is always up to date. The weird part is, it works on the other side of the buildjng but just not in my room. It was working totally fine for like five days.

10. prplhaz4

prplhaz4 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just saw Intel recently released v17 of the wifi drivers - maybe try that?
    Latest Drivers - XPS 15 Wiki