XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. kaja69

kaja69 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks. I am considering buying it. As a happy across home/work pcs and android smartphone Chrome user I am interested in hearing if the Chrome scaling issue has been solved?

2. trofi

trofi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It is 2 kg. After my old inspiron 1520 it feels like a paper sheet :D

3. adlerhn

adlerhn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not for Linux. But I've become again a happy Firefox user, after a few years using Chrome.

I am only missing the automatic translation.

4. kaja69

kaja69 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks. How about Windows 8.1?

5. nutral

nutral Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I took out the harddrive and msata, and put in an ssd. My laptop is now 1984 grams. (what a nice number). I think with an msata ssd in the 60wh model you can get to the 1,9kg.

6. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you shared more details about the application you're having an issue with and the exact issue, maybe people could help troubleshoot that. But no, installing Windows on a second partition won't break anything as long as the second instance is an equal or newer version of Windows compared to what's already there. Windows detects existing installations and adjusts bootloaders as necessary when you install it. Where you WILL have a problem though is that if the clean install works and you want to go delete the original OS partition, you won't be able to extend your new partition backward to fill the space freed up by the original. You'll either need to use third-party partitioning tools or perform a new clean install to reclaim that space.

7. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I hated 8.0 the first two times I used it, but I'm on 8.1 now and totally happy -- especially now that Windows 8.1 Update 1 has been released on MSDN (everyone else gets it via Windows Update on April 8). There are a couple things that aggravate me, but there are a lot more things I enjoy as improvements, and honestly for the most part it's not that different from Win7. Once you enable logging on straight to Desktop, accept that the Start screen is just an improved version of Pinned Start Menu items, and realize that the All Apps interface is just like the old Start Menu, you're set. Metro is a brand new interface to learn, but it got easier to use in 8.1 (and even easier in 8.1 Update 1), but on the other hand if you never want to use it, you don't have to.

Here's a list from a post of mine in the M3800 thread of some of the stuff I like about 8.1 over 7 (some are only available in 8.1 Pro):

- BitLocker and BitLocker To Go (including support for drives with built-in hardware encryption)
    - Full UEFI support (without needing Legacy Option ROMs/Compatibility Support Module enabled)
    - UASP support
    - SMB 3.0 support
    - Multi-display RDP host
    - Better scaling support (even for FHD owners in case they get 4K external displays)
    - Support for the new version of DirectAccess (if your corporation deploys Server 2012 on the backend)
    - Fast Boot support (without proprietary third-party implementations)
    - Per-display taskbar support (again, without third-party applications)
    - Hyper-V
    - Significantly better Task Manager
    - More efficient memory management
    - Better battery life when comparing the same benchmarks on the same hardware
    - Free upgrade to Windows 8.2 when it's released with whatever features make it into that release

krayziehustler likes this.
  8. adlerhn

adlerhn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And what is wrong with third party tools? I always use GParted for my partitioning needs. No limitations about moving partitions, extending on the left, etc. (depending on the operation, boot repair might be required afterwards)

9. mrnoor

mrnoor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just wanted to share; when I first got my laptop there was dust under(inside) the screen. They sent a repair guy the next day, now a couple months later I have these beautiful issues:
    20140403_150407.jpg
    20140403_150443.jpg
    lightleak.jpg

And there's dust under the screen again, I can not understand this

10. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nothing at all. I'm mostly just mentioning it so he's aware that will be required (and that a solution does exist), but then again if he doesn't want to deal with the additional hassle and/or isn't comfortable using tools like that (especially since as you say they can repair boot repairs later, and I think someone mentioned the image recovery partition is no longer usable), that would be useful information to have upfront as well when deciding how he wants to proceed.