XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Mihael Keehl

Mihael Keehl Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just placed an order on the XPS 15, I'm not sure if I have made the right choice.
    At the moment I'm debating between XPS 15 or Sager NP 8268-S, I opted for the Dell, mostly due to portability.
    But seeing as how many people have had issues with it, I might be returning it just as quickly.

2. darrenham

darrenham Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Remember, you're mostly seeing the people with issues.

Happy campers don't general search out a forum.

Mihael Keehl and adlerhn like this.
  3. brokenblinker

brokenblinker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just as confirmation for that, I got one off of an ebay dell outlet seller and have been extremely happy with it. Factory sealed box from dell, 1 yr warranty, no issues (well 1 small one, but nothing big that I wouldn't expect from any laptop), perfect superficially, no whine, very fast/powerful, highest spec'd all for 1600!

4. QuantumPSI

QuantumPSI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey, are people able to share their wifi internet connection? I'm trying to create a hotspot on my machine and the "sharing" tab is completely gone from my wifi connection. On windows 8.1.

Am I doing something wrong here or is there something amiss with my machine?

5. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have it in Network Connections when I right-click my Wi-Fi adapter and select Properties. Try updating your drivers, or delete the adapter from Device Manager and let it get added back? It might also not show when you've only got one network connection actually active.

Otherwise try Googling "Windows Network Connection Sharing tab missing"?

6. joker97

joker97 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    is it possible to install a 2nd UEFI windows 8 clean install onto a partition while preserving everything else so i can experiment?

i am not sure if a clean install will keep the dell software i bought - namely office, adobe acrobat, adobe lightroom.

also i have spent a lot of time configuring my set up, i just want to see how a clean install feels like. any ideas if i can install into a separate partition without losing anything?

7. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    First off, let me say that I honestly wouldn't bother -- and I say that even though I always do clean installs. This system ships with very little bloatware, so it would be much easier to just uninstall what you don't need and you'll be very close to the feel of a clean install anyway. But if you're determined to try this, if you shrink your existing OS partition enough to create space for a new partition, you'll be able to clean install Windows 8.1 onto that new partition. You'll then have multiple boot options when you start your system and you can choose which one you want to boot into. And your existing Windows installation won't be affected in any way by the clean install partition. Just make sure that if you do this you create your installation USB drive in a way that supports UEFI booting.

If you do decide to go with the clean install, it definitely won't retain all of the software you bought (you'll just have basic Windows), but if you bought through Dell I think they have some website where you can go to redownload all of that software and access your product keys. Or maybe it's an application called Dell Digital Delivery or something.

8. joker97

Reputations:
    I have 2 major issue, one program that I really need does not work (despite every other person on windows 8 having no issues), and my laptop doesn't sleep properly after a few days without rebooting.

I want to see if a clean install fixes these issues. if yes then I'm clean installing, if no, I just delete the clean install.

definitely won't break the bootloader?

9. kaja69

kaja69 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I come from a 2.0 kg 14" ThinkPad. I read diffent specs but can someone please tell my what the real weight of the XPS 15 is?

10. joker97

Reputations:
    2.0kg ... ...