XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. skillit

skillit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    not really.. :/ is this normal? should I call dell? helpppp

2. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you actually try disabling Rapid Start? What about checking out the XPS 15 Wiki, where there's an article in the Common Complaints section discussing this exact issue as well as ways to solve it?

You also said that this happened when you close the lid. Did you check your Power Options to ensure that closing the lid is actually set to put the system to sleep?

paulthuong likes this.
  3. aclockworkorangutan

aclockworkorangutan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Good news everyone! I just got my XPS 15 and I don't have the coil while as far as I can tell. Sorry don't mean to rub it in and I really do feel bad for those of you that do have it. :(

paulthuong likes this.
  4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You don't mean to rub it in while rubbing it in? ;) Congrats on winning the Dell QC lottery! Rare find.

5. joker97

joker97 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi how do I clean install windows 8.1 with UEFI (ie don't need to enter cd-key)? It always asks for cd-key

6. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    First, UEFI has absolutely nothing to do with the CD key. They're two completely separate concepts. But the reason you're getting prompted is that the ISO you used to build your install media won't install the edition of Windows that your embedded key is intended for. Most XPS 15s will have a Windows 8.1 Core key, but if you bought it through the business store, it will have an 8.1 Pro key embedded. But not every Windows 8.1 ISO can install both editions. MSDN ISOs can, but the ones downloaded from Microsoft's retail download portal won't. And even if you enter a Windows 8.1 generic install key for the version you want to install, you'll see an error that the media can't install the version of Windows that that key is intended for.

This has all been covered earlier in this thread and is therefore also written up in the XPS 15 Wiki, fyi -- both how to make sure you install Windows in UEFI mode and the warning about using the correct ISO if you want to use the embedded key. ;)

7. nk2013

nk2013 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Chipset:
    http://www.dell.com/support/my-supp...ode=xps-15-9530&languageCode=EN&categoryId=CS

Intel Management Engine Interface:
    http://www.dell.com/support/my-supp...ode=xps-15-9530&languageCode=EN&categoryId=CS

NFC Driver:
    http://www.dell.com/support/my-supp...ode=xps-15-9530&languageCode=EN&categoryId=NI
    Go over these installation files and try using the nfc again.

After installing these, reboot and then go to PC settings -> Network -> Airplane Mode and ensure nfc is switched on.

If that still doesn't do it, then try sending files from phone to phone. If that doesn't work then check in settings and make sure Android Beam (or similar) is turned on aswell as the nfc itself. That works then its definitely the computer. Maybe try some other device with the computer.

8. darrenham

darrenham Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Was me:

Windows button > Control Panel > Tablet PC Settings > Other tab > Left Handed

Can someone put that on the wiki pls?

9. DarthWayne

DarthWayne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    seems more like an aberration...though the demo unit i tested at a store also didnt have the coil whine ..i planted my ear near the charging area on the keyboard...but sadly they dont have stock for 512 GB SSD.

does dell have a 30 day refund policy or something so i can buy a unit without feeling anxious?

10. nutral

nutral Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice!, welcome to the no coil whine club :D. do you have the low/mid or high tier?