XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Zoomsday

Zoomsday Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can hear it when I leave the laptop idle on my desk while I'm sitting in the washing room. However, I have to point that my room was quite and the washing room is not far from my work desk.

2. trofi

trofi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I experience no Throttling at all and I play crysis at 1600 X 900 with mist stuff set to high. I get a nice fluid gameplay and everything, of course the fans start running at full speed but that's it no problem there. I think that these problems are mainly software issues. Do you have the latest drivers from nvidia also did you let nvidia experience find the game and optimise it?

I have a question. Someone said that he solved the problem with the menu expanding on the left of the screen it was had something to do with the touchscreen can you let me know how he solved it?

Also i get my phone and NFC to recognise each other by getting them close to eath other but how do I manage files transfers etc?

3. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 32GB mSATA SSD is just an Intel Smart Response cache drive, not an independent disk. Everything is installed on the 1TB volume. So if you do a swap, you'll either want to reinstall Windows clean or disable Smart Response on your existing setup (you won't use it with an SSD) and then clone the 1TB drive over to the new one. And since you're installing an SSD, you'll want to remove the 32GB unit anyway unless you actually have a use for an independent 32GB disk, in which case change the SATA operation from Intel Smart Response to AHCI -- but that option might force you to do a clean install rather than cloning.

Note that if you opt for a clean reinstall, you'll need Windows 8.1 media, which won't come with the system. The Dell utility won't work because the drive you're installing is smaller than the one you're removing (even if the amount of used space would fit). Third-party cloning tools may work though. Macrium Reflect Free has been mentioned a few times.

4. bekos

bekos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yup, I always had the latest drivers/bios during tests. Dunno why I was getting throttling with the first mobo and not with the second.
    Is there an easy way to make the laptop and the phone recognize each other through NFC? Do you mind giving some tips to get me started?
    Thanks.

QuantumPSI likes this.
  5. DarthWayne

DarthWayne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    regarding the coil whine..i have been reading a lot about it on lot of forums and dell support forum also: XPS 15 9530 - Noise problem? - Laptop General Hardware Forum - Laptop - Dell Community

Was wondering if anyone has tried undervolting with rightmark cpu clock utility to see if undervolting solves this problem?

you can change the multiplier also.

i am not very good at understanding different options but referring to the original undervolting thread, i have managed to run my dv6 cooler and less noise from fan

i was really keen on buying this laptop but the issue has put me off considering the price....

can someone try undervolting it and report back results?

6. aclockworkorangutan

aclockworkorangutan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Been reading this thread a lot in anticipation of getting my XPS 15 today. :) I am a bit concerned about the coil while. I am curious... are there any users out there whose machine does not have the whine?

Thank you.

7. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, although there doesn't seem to be a correlation between when people received their system and how likely they are to have coil whine. Some people got motherboard replacements that cured it, some people got motherboard replacements (or entire system exchanges) that had louder coil whine than their original unit. Some people who just recently got their systems have coil whine, and a few people who got their systems right after launch don't have the issue. And I would wager that there are a least a few owners who have coil whine but are blissfully unaware of it because their hearing no longer allows them to detect sounds at that frequency, kind of like the mosquito ringtone.

Bottom line: It's a crap shoot at the moment. My guess is that the reason is that the manufacturing tolerance on some component(s) is wider than it should be, so some units will be manufactured on the side of the tolerance scale that does not cause coil whine, and others won't be so lucky.

All that said, my system has it, and since it's almost constantly on AC power it's persistent, but I don't really care. I've had it on previous systems, it's fairly easy to mentally tune out, and it's even easier to drown out with even quiet ambient noise or music. Sure in a perfect world it wouldn't be there, but it's nowhere near a deal breaker to me, and honestly having had the system for months now, I hardly ever notice it. And when I do it doesn't irritate me. Most people's frustration expressed here seems to be based on principle, not actual aggravation that persists even after they've used the system for a while.

8. gdir13

gdir13 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same here with Skyrim. I have been playing (vanilla) Skyrim at 1600 x 900 with all graphic settings at max for hours without any noticible drop in frame rate. Ok, the game is 2.5 years old, it is still using the old DX 9 and I haven't tried any mods with high-res textures so far, but I can play it for hours without any problems. I haven't measured temperatures or frame rates, but everything seems to be ok.

9. aclockworkorangutan

Reputations:
    Thank you for the thoughtful and informative response! My fingers are crossed! :)

10. aclockworkorangutan

Reputations:
    I ordered my XPS 15 from Costco.com. Here is a direct link to the product on their website:

http://www.costco.com/Dell-XPS-15-T...HD+-|-Backlit-Keyboard.product.100098425.html

I am curious... can anyone tell me what the exact model number of that unit is? Costco doesn't list it. According to Dell's support website the XPS 15 has the following possible model numbers:

> XPS 15 (L502X)
    > XPS 15 (L501X)
    > XPS 15 (L521x)
    > XPS 15 9530

Thank you.