XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. clifforama

clifforama Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok, I'll let it go then. I generally like the idea of independent devices, but since you've never seen such an arrangement on a laptop before, this laptop is unlikely to be different in that respect. I knew it was a long shot anyway; I was hoping that the capability was there, but just needed to be exposed via the right Audio Manager. Anyway, I'll probably get used to it. And if I don't, I'll get a USB headset or adapter like you originally suggested. Thanks again.

2. IceManKent

IceManKent Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, so I see Dell has now INCREASED the price of the TOP tier model by 100.00
    XPS 15 Touch Screen Laptop Details | Dell Canada

I guess they needed some way to make up their losses on all the refunds, warranty exchanges, and repairs for this "great concept / poor execution" laptop.

hfm likes this.
  3. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    OR it could be because the lack of direct competition for this model in the PC market, coupled with several generally very positive reviews, has created a substantial demand for this system, which has in turn allowed Dell to increase the price -- despite some issues voiced on enthusiast forums and despite the fact that such a price increase might be met with a kneejerk negative interpretation from cynical people on said forums who have no stronger a basis for their theory than I do for my own.

adlerhn and JPBJ like this.
  4. SamDeng2

SamDeng2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Different owners have different levels of severity as regards the coil whine. I can only hear mine when I put my ear closer to the keyboard. Are there people hearing this noise from arms length or a farther distance than that. I'm also curious to know what DELL means by some of the XPS 15 collected from the field for testing are close to 'specifications"

5. aclockworkorangutan

aclockworkorangutan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello All,

I am getting my new XPS 15 tomorrow. :) It comes with a 1TB (5400)/32 GB SSD configuration. I plan on replacing the 1TB hard drive with my Samsung 256GB SSD drive as soon as it arrives.

Can anyone briefly explain to me how I might go about replacing the drive? I assume the operating system is on the 32GB drive so does this mean that the 1TB drive is only for data and so I can just swap it out for my new SSD?

Thank you.

Clockie

SamDeng2 likes this.
  6. aclockworkorangutan

aclockworkorangutan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Also, will I need some kind of software to clone the 1TB drive or should I just install Windows 8.1 fresh on it?

7. mark_pozzi

mark_pozzi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just wanted to get peoples view on this before I hand over $143 AUD.

I wanted a second power cord for my xps. I could only find the replacement cord on the US website for $89.99 but nothing on the Australian website.

I called dell australia yesterday and after 30 minutes of me giving them the part number they came back and said $143 AUD. Now I know living in Australia we get shafted on prices but these seems a bit rediculous. Especially considering I update my laptop every year so will be buying the broadwell version as soon as it comes out.

I am considering freight forwarding the US version to AUS and just replacing the plug.

Anyone in Australia had better luck?

8. bekos

bekos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello guys,

I had my motherboard replaced today. First of all I have to mention that the guy had no idea about the coil whine and the GPU throttling. I guess here in Australia we live in our own universe. The reasons I replaced the motherboard were: noisy fan, gpu throttling, coil whine. Actually I lied, the reason I replaced the motherboard was to convince the Dell Phone support that changing the motherboard won't make any difference. So, after the replacement the coil whine is still there, the fan noise is gone of course and... the gpu throttling.. this is strange.. it is somehow better.. but I am not sure.. what do I mean? Please continue reading:
    While I was playing games I had GPU-z running in a second monitor. The frequency for the GPU on the menus was around 400MHz. But during gameplay was around 1100MHz... and the Temperature around 81C... and suddenly.. boom! The GPU frequency was dropping to 200MHz.. then the Temperature was dropping to 60C but the GPU frequency wouldn't go up again regardless if I was going back to the game menu. I had to exit to windows and restart the game in order for the GPU frequency to increase again. After changing the motherboard, when the temperature starts rising the GPU frequency drops to 700MHz and when it cools down the frequency increases again. It looks like the frequency scaling works much better in the GPU of the new motherboard.

Finally something last: if you are a linux user and you use Grub with EFI to boost the machine, after replacing the motherboard you wont be able to boot linux because the grub EFI entry does not exist in the EFI firmware of the new motherboard. To fix this follow the following steps:
    * Boot Linux from CD and go into repair mode. (in Debian this is called rescue system).
    * Somehow open a console and chroot the Linux partition. (for Debian you just select to access your linux partition through the GUI and then it opens a console for you, you dont have to chroot).
    * Mount the EFI partition under /boot/efi. in my case it was: mount /dev/sda2 /boot/efi
    * run grub-install with no parameters (unless you have some funky configuration)
    * reboot
    * done! :)

Thank you.

9. adlerhn

adlerhn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's great info, thanks (I hope not to need it). Feel free to add it to the Linux wiki if you think can be is useful to anyone.

10. adlerhn

adlerhn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can hear the coil whine at arms length. There is a high-pitched one when the CPU is working hard which I can just barely hear, and a very loud low-pitched one when the GPU is working (such as rendering OpenGL 3D graphics or scrolling).