XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. eugenebytes

eugenebytes Newbie

Reputations:
    Same thing happened to me! I could ALT-TAB around to different programs and things but it wasn't registering any clicks at all. I had to reboot to fix the issue as well.

2. mark_pozzi

mark_pozzi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wondering if someone can help me out.

I am trying to run MYOB (accounting software in Australia). If i leave the scaling set to 166% none of the menus line up.

I went into their support and something read it doesn't read DPI or something and to set to 100% scaling.

The menus then look fine but everything is so tiny I can't see what I am doing.

Is there a solution I am missing? I read some mac forums with people running it via VM but as they are only running one program in VM it would be easy to scale to 100% just for that?

3. geezman

geezman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This happens to me even without hibernating, just out of the blue. The issue is only in the desktop though. If I switch to Metro, I can click on stuff and it works, but if I switch back to the desktop, I can't click on anything. A reboot always fixes it and sometimes if I wait a while, it seems to fix itself.

4. kashing92

kashing92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Our room temperature right now is 8C, HWM shows the laptop's i7 is running at 55C idle. Could expect a bit more when I return to 30C room temperature.

Can anyone report on unusual large battery activity? I've only used this for a few hours, have had it calibrated, it's showing a wear level of 2%, and showing me 2 hours or 3 hours life on a full charge (sometimes bouncing to 4 hours) that is quickly draining (in a few minutes it went from 97% to 87%)!

Enough for a replacement battery? Problem is I'm going overseas and Dell doesn't sell the large battery version where I'm going.

5. moda

moda Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Sounds like there is something running in the background? 55C is pretty high for an idle temp, it should be mid 30s.

6. kashing92

Reputations:
    if you talk about "background" there's the Nvidia thing, the Intel stuff that's tucked away, the McAfee etc

I'm not doing calculations or downloading in the background

30C CPU sounds a bit low, but given the weather I guess that's a possibility. Still, it just raises concerns for when the outside temperature is normal or 30C.

7. moda

moda Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hrm, very strange. Might be an internal windows thing or something? Dunno. Keep in mind that the Windows estimation of battery life has traditionally been not great. It's better than it was under XP/7, but yea, it's still not that accurate. Depends on what you're doing at the time etc.

To put it into context, my 4930k is currently idling at ~38-40 degrees (depending on the core, with my abysmal CPU cooler), and it's ~28 degrees in here. Mobile CPUs are lower power, but have less cooling potential, so they should run about the same. 55 Degrees idle is well above what i'd class as normal, hence my suggestion that there is something running in the background.

8. kashing92

Reputations:
    that's pretty amazing

what about past experience with quad core or even dual core laptops? best i could get in a laptop was (on 28C weather) 40+C core temp for a single core, and for dual/quad it hasn't been great, high 40s to mid 50s is reasonable for idle

9. moda

moda Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yea, and this is overclocked too (4.1ghz, 1.28v), so it runs a bit hotter than stock. My old i7 920 was about the same, ~38-42 degrees idle, ~60+ degrees load. The 4930k being a hexcore, my cooler is pretty inadequate now, waiting until exams are over before I switch over to a full custom watercooling loop :p

Just turned on my mums Vaio Pro 13, i5 4200U, idles at ~36-40 degrees according to realtemp (both cores about the same). Same deal though, it's a ULV CPU, so it has a lower TDP, but less cooling capacity (since its so thin), so it should run about the same.

10. kashing92

Reputations:
    yeah I'd expect a ULV to be like that, but for a 35W dual or quad, it's not likely. but I'm more hung up about the stupid battery issue because when the indicator says 2 hours it will shut off in 2 hours unless it switches... when i was at 7% life it seemed to stay at 7% in near perpetuity despite my efforts to open apps and try to make it move, while from 97% it whooshed down 10% really fast