XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. TheGovernment

TheGovernment Newbie

Reputations:
    So I just ordered my mid tier xps 15. I've already got a 512 SSD I will be installing. Curious if the win 8 licence is embedded to the mobo? or do I need some software to get the licence number? My last lenovo y580 was great, just throw in the win 8 disc and that was it, the licence was tied to the mobo.

thanks for any info.

2. clifforama

clifforama Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks, that makes sense.

3. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's an 8.1 license, but yes it's embedded into the motherboard, and regular Windows 8.1 media will detect and automatically use it during installation. There are tools you can use to view it if you feel the need, either on an existing Windows installation that was activated with it or by pulling it directly out of the motherboard's ACPI tables.

4. tamburpl

tamburpl Newbie

Reputations:
    Can someone in this thread please test their 3200x1800 display for image retention (ghosting/persistence)? By testing with Retina MBP (rMBP) image-retention test . Let the checkerboard stay for 5/10 min (or longer) and turn on the grey background and report how it looks, do you still see the checkerboard?

In normal day use, do you see a faint impression of windows/taskbars/icons etc. on your screen?

I wonder cause I have an XPS 12 which have serious ghosting, and wonder if this one is better. The image retention on my screen is worse when using low display light.

Much appreciated

5. Antonyh4

Antonyh4 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Didn't do the test but I notice the taskbar icons very vaguely hanging around when switching to metro mode particularly the start icon.

6. tamburpl

tamburpl Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply :) I see...is that on ac power or battery (low light) or both?

Would be nice if anyone could do the "image retention test".

7. Antonyh4

Reputations:
    Just done the test had screen on for about 9 minutes square artefacts hung around for about 40 seconds after switching to grey screen, I am plugged into AC

8. tamburpl

tamburpl Newbie

Reputations:
    And you do have the QHD version?

9. Antonyh4

Reputations:
    yes I do..

10. devize

devize Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I get it all the time, and it seems to happen at the worst times which gets really annoying.

Not only that but the game has been running like absolute crap recently, I've only been getting about 20 fps even on the lowest settings from ~80 fps on highest. Furthermore, my ac adapter doesn't seem to work, or the ac port is broken as almost every time I plug in the adapter I get an error saying that 'The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. Your system will operate slower and battery will not charge.' It seems to keep the battery stable but I'm running at 6% now and I won't be able to use the laptop soon as it won't charge. Probably the cause of my gaming performance dropping dramatically...