XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Eyadali

Eyadali Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, I was about to start testing those presets as well. My original system preset is set to voice and the replacement is set to MaxxSense.
    As you mentioned earlier, there is no way to change the original system (MAXAUDIO 3) to MaxSense. But, I could try changing it to "Gaming" instead and test again.

2. JPBJ

JPBJ Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yep...I can confirm that installing the driver from Dell's driver page downgrades MaxxAudio from Pro to version 3. I stumbled on this when I first received my system. I ended up having to do a factory restore in order to get back to MaxxAudio Pro.
    I meant to post about it, but I guess I forgot.

3. micmex

micmex Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    M3800 uses the pro version, why not try the M3800 drivers.

4. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Interesting! This would be worth posting on the Wiki if we can figure out how to get MaxxAudio Pro back. I never noticed this because I did a clean install right off the bat. Fwiw, getting the reference drivers from Realtek also got me MaxxAudio 3, so either Dell has some proprietary driver package or they're using regular drivers plus some additional application in order to get Pro. Anybody good at looking into this stuff still using the factory install?

If anyone is willing to risk their MaxxAudio Pro, I'd be curious whether updating to the latest driver on Dell's site allows you to keep Pro (I'm betting it will) and then whether uninstalling the Realtek drivers entirely, restarting, and then reinstalling the package on Dell's site brings it back (no real prediction here). That would help identify whether there's something additional on the factory image and whether it's part of the originally installed driver package or somehow persistent in the system even after the drivers themselves are uninstalled.

Too bad Dell is making this so difficult though....

5. devize

devize Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there anything I can do to stop getting this error on league of legends? I haven't got it on any other computer I have.

6. Oninuva

Oninuva Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I tried playing civilization V last night but couldn't get it to fill the entire screen? I tried many different resolutions and the game only sized to the middle of my screen using around 50% of the space. The rest was just blacked out. :/

7. krayziehustler

krayziehustler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    New issue I just started getting on my problem free XPS...

I press the power button and the lights flash and the Dell Logo shows...and then it turns off completely.

The next time I press the power button it comes on as if nothing happened.

I can reproduce it everytime.

8. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This has come up a few times (and should probably be added to the Wiki by someone more experienced with this issue) but update to the latest NVIDIA and Intel GPU drivers. If that fails, try dropping your resolution in Windows (before launching the game) to 1600x900 and see whether the game scales properly at that point. If not, this is a known issue that's probably driver-related; the pre-launch resolution drop and driver updates seem to fix some games, but I think there are others still affected.

9. tamburpl

tamburpl Newbie

Reputations:

Do you have the QHD display? or the lower fullHD display?

Btw, did you get a replacement? Did it fix the problem?

I have a Dell XPS 12 with pretty serious image retention and wonder if the problem follows this model as well. Can someone with the XPS 15 3200x1800 display confirm if there is any serious image retention on this? Can anyone try out the image retention test at Retina MBP (rMBP) image-retention test
    How does it seem after 5 min/10min? (my XPS 12 is actually worse at low light settings)

Thanks

10. GNUDell

GNUDell Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Edit: sorry quoted the wrong post. Now correct:

I also had this problem approx 5 times. The bios is totally unstable!
    thing's you should not do until dell fixes the fully buggy bios (also some interrupts, addresses problems):
    - boot without any usb device connected. I had this hang's at dell logo with some card readers and my usb-to-ethernet dongle
    - better shutdown and power up your dell than restarting. had this hang's at dell both with linux and win7 restarts.
    - push to much times F2 ord F12 at the dell logo

To solve now your problem: I can not remember what did the trick, because I tired everything to get the xps running again (pppppaaaaaannnniiiccc (writing a thesis at the moment))
    - first try to very long press your power botton on start
    - try to push F2 whilst turning on. try to push F12 at turning on Try to push del key on turning on, try to push esc button on turning on.

one of these things did the trick, that my xps started to boot again. sorry that i don't remember, because so much panic in that moment.
    good luck!

@ dell: besides stability, there are a lot of other device conflicts and battery and coild whine problems to fix!