XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. tricky76

tricky76 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. moda

moda Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    As per my post on the other thread, as far as I'm aware the only XPS badge is on the bottom plate. If you look at the photos on dells site, there logo below the display says Dell, not XPS.

Why on earth would anyone post fake photos of a dell laptop, particularly when we know people have already gotten theirs? :p

3. kashing92

kashing92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    duh, this is old news. it's been out since like July... XPS 15 doesn't have an XPS logo on the screen like the old ones or the XPS 13

the only difference on the outside between the XPS 15 and the M3800 is the insignia on the bottom, one says XPS the other says Precision. Otherwise there's virtually no difference in how they look

4. Max Treblig

Max Treblig Newbie

Reputations:
    Guys,
    Excuse my ignorance in this area - can I seek some clarification before putting some money down for this machine...

I'm a very heavy user of many programs in the Adobe suite - Photoshop et.al. - and at the moment only one or two work with HiDPI scaling.

So... I just want to check: If I get the QHD+ 3,200 x 1,800 screen. could I simply set the screen resolution in Windows to be 1,600 x 900 - ie 'half resolution'? Would that just look and work like a laptop with a native 1,600 x 900 res screen?

If so, I'd be willing to forgo the benefits of the highre res settings until Adobe+Microsoft have sorted out the HiDPI scaling mess. Apparently 'they're working on it'.

Thanks

5. tricky76

Reputations:
    sorry...i just wanted everyone who sees my machine that i paid top dollar and am now broke, the least dell could do was slap on the insignia that says it all

:-(

on another note, as im not as technically saavy as most here on this forum....some people are now losing me when talking about the screen resolution, and making adjustments...my question is: out of the box, do i need to make adjustments...im really only using this for internet/video editing/blogging....why are these other fellows discussing all these changes they want to make to the resolution ratios, and is this something i should do out of the box

as always, thank you all

6. wickeddeus

wickeddeus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    From reading on the M3800 thread this screen has sooo many small tightly packed pixels that it works almost like the CRT screens of old. Lowering the resolution doesn't cause jaggies and pixel blocks like lcd screens of yore. But now since people are getting these XPS in hand can someone test this and post some pictures?

7. woohoo7676

woohoo7676 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Interesting, I'm glad firefox is working for you! I tried reinstalling and the lag is still there for me sadly. I'm almost starting to wonder if there are different versions of the touchpads - for me it's the opposite - dell's drivers are more reliable, and the synaptic oem ones have right click issues. Maybe I just got a bum touchpad?

Would you mind posting your touchpad info (you can find it I believe by the touchpad icon => about/info?

Mine is:
    SGS Version: SGS 13.3
    ClickPad Series 1.5 - Imaging Sensor
    Driver Version: 17.0.13 05Sep13
    FW Version: 1.6
    Scrybe Version: Not installed
    Interface: SMB
    Windows Version: Win8

8. ShadoX

ShadoX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi there, imposter here :D

To answer your question, you DO need to make changes out of the box. By default it is set to about 200% zoom which will make some apps look very bad. You could either lower the zoom until you find a level you like OR you could set it to 100% zoom and drop the monitor resolution. Dropping the resolution does work just as well, its all about preference.

tricky76 likes this.
  9. hazelwood

hazelwood Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    As someone earlier mentioned, 166% scaling is around 1080p, which may look better than 200%.

10. tricky76

Reputations:
    hello imposter...my bad again, sorry...and thank you for the clarification...i will play around and post my results/more questions once i get my hands on the machine, which seems like it will be never...i ordered on the 29th in new york, and still no movement from "in production" its a sad sad day over here