XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. gdecamp

gdecamp Newbie

Reputations:
    No, none around near me but thanks. I don't mind waiting a little but hope it is not as long as they have quoted. I do hope if it is that long all the issues have been resolved!

2. nexus024

nexus024 Newbie

Reputations:
    Nice. I have never used one before so looking forward to it. Got any recommendations for a good SSD brand?

Also, HWmonitor shows my CPU cores idle(with nothing running) at around 42-48C. Should I replace the thermal paste or is that normal temps?

3. benbegg

benbegg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has any user given thought as to wether there might be a suitable magnetic connector attachment for charger to ensure that the plug will not be yanked when I trip over the cord...as per an Apple Magsafe connector. I have see something called Chargesafe but nothing else.

4. JPBJ

JPBJ Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    LOL

Funniest thing I've read all day.

5. JPBJ

JPBJ Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I agree. MSE is great if you tend to be careful. Sadly, most people aren't.

If you're looking for something that requires a bit less caution, is still light on resources and doesn't nag, try Bitdefender free edition. It's very light, offers top-rated protection, and doesn't nag you at all.

6. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Samsung is an extremely popular SSD brand. The 840 Evo is particularly popular and is available in both 2.5" and mSATA form factors (the latter may not have launched yet, but it was announced a few weeks ago so it should be available soon at least). There's also the 840 Pro (2.5" form factor only) if you'll be doing more write-intensive work, for which the 840 Pro would deliver better performance over the Evo. Crucial is also a very popular choice, specifically the M500, also available in both 2.5" and mSATA form factors. And lastly, Intel is basically the very best, but you'll pay extra for it, and their capacity offerings aren't as high as competitors. Lastly, Lite-On delivers good products but they're basically only available to OEMs, so you wouldn't find them shopping around at retail -- but Dell ships this system with a Lite-On SSD if you order it a 256GB unit (that option might only be available on the M3800, come to think of it....)

I personally have used Samsung SSDs in all of my systems and I like them a lot. They're the only brand I know of at the moment that develops every component of their SSD in-house: the flash chips, the controller, the PCB, and the firmware. I think that's a big reason why Samsung SSDs have proven so reliable while also remaining price-competitive.

For temperatures, 42-48 C sounds fine. I wouldn't consider replacing the thermal paste a requirement, just something that more techy people might want to do either to quiet down the fans and/or because they just prefer the idea of a system that runs cooler and like tinkering around -- which I completely understand! But it's not as if your system is going to overheat, catch fire, and melt down if you leave it as-is. ;)

Apple has a patent on MagSafe, which is why you don't see it elsewhere. I think that's a big reason why you haven't seen many third-party options out there; Apple is known for being quick to sue perceived copyright infringers, after all. And since the system itself doesn't have a magnetic charging port built in, any magnetic charging solution would require using a little dongle between the power adapter and the power connector on the laptop itself, which seems more trouble than it's worth to me.

7. Crazysah

Crazysah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I ordered on 2/12 and have an estimated delivery date of 3/25. That's definitely strange.

Also, has anyone ordered from the MIcrosoft Store? I wondering about the build dates on those laptops. Have they been sitting there for a long time? Cause the price is the same, so I might just go ahead and cancel from Dell and order from the Microsoft Store.

8. Waru

Waru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, I figured it'd be hectic to pull something like that. So far, 1920x1800 and 1600x900 have been the most friendliest resolutions with 1920x1080 being a little more power-hungry.

See, my dilemma is choosing between the EVO and Pro series because I read somewhere that the Pro has longer lasting components and that they're built in-house. It's such a disappointment that there isn't a 1TB variation of the 840 Pro, but even so, I'm sure it would be expensive. Do you guys think there's a big difference in quality (not performance) between the EVO and Pro? I'm wondering if the EVO will fail on me too quickly because it IS a pretty great value, after all. I just hope it's not one of those things where it's too good to be true.

9. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So here's the story. The 840 Evo (and 840 non-Pro before it) use three-bit cells, whereas the 840 Pro uses two-bit cells. Three-bit cells basically allows for more capacity using a given number flash chips -- that's why there's a 1TB 840 Evo but not a 1TB 840 Pro. Three-bit cells are also technically more likely to fail earlier. The reasons are that a) more data stored per cell means more writes are likely to occur in that cell (and writes are what wear out memory cells), and b) when each cell can have six possible values rather than only four (two possible values per bit), then in cases where the cell is weaker (i.e. after many write cycles), more possible values in that cell means more potential for reading the weak cell incorrectly and more chance that the SSD's error correction algorithms won't be able to fully correct the issue.

HOWEVER, that's far more of an academic issue than a practical one. The Tech Report ran an SSD Endurance Experiment using a bunch of different models on the market, including the 840 non-Pro that uses the same three-bit cells as the Evo. It started to show some issues only after 200TB of data had been written to it, which is 20GB of writes per day for over 27 years -- and since most people's workloads are overwhelmingly read-oriented, they probably won't write anywhere near 20GB of data per day, which means they can reasonably expect their drives to last even longer than that. I don't know about you, but I don't plan to keep any hard drive anywhere near 27 years. There's also the fact that as SSDs have gotten larger, there are more cells over which to perform wear leveling, and since the number of write transactions often doesn't scale proportionally with capacity, that means the wear on any given cell is reduced even further

So honestly I wouldn't worry about the lifespan of an 840 Evo compared to a Pro. Get an 840 Pro if the difference in the benchmarks is relevant to how you'll be using the drive and worth the cost difference to you, but otherwise get the Evo. Both are likely to last far, FAR longer than you'll actually be keeping them. ;)

10. Waru

Waru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh wow, that's good news! I totally understand it now. Thank you for sharing this knowledge with me. I think I will go ahead and keep my eye on the 1TB EVO. I'm also going to throw in a 480GB mSATA from Crucial in my XPS 15 as well. Although, I'll probably wait until the summertime to do so since there are some great sales during that time.