XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. savingpvtbryan

savingpvtbryan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just ordered the mid-range Dell XPS 15. I really wanted the high end with the 512GB SSD but I couldn't afford it. I paid $1,598.39 before taxes for the mid-range model. Used the Dell Employee Purchase Program (student discount) + 10% military discount coupon. I can't wait till I get this. I'm thinking about buying the leather case on ebay also. New Genuine Dell XPS 15 Black Leather Laptop Protector Sleeve GC9G2 0GC9G2 | eBay

2. shaunnyb

shaunnyb Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So.. I also purchased the xps 15 from dell australia.. I got the most top end model they offered. I ordered it on 18 oct.. and was told I would get in 7 to 10 working days.. but the order still says "WORK IN PROGRESS" and est delivery date is same as most of you 18th nov.

Im really anoyed at them for being misleading.. but to be more honest I just cant wait to get this baby in my hands.. oh and I paid 2360 AUD.. and I got the 15% education discount cause my missus is a teacher.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

3. kashing92

kashing92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's pretty expensive mate, did you get extra warranty on that? I paid more than you but I've got 3 years warranty.

Well, the estimated delivery date was always 14-18 for us, they were even concerned about delays if the demand was high. 10 working days seemed pretty ridiculous considering older models don't even ship that fast normally, let alone one that literally no one has.

4. shaunnyb

shaunnyb Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yep I did get extended warranty.

5. kashing92

Reputations:
    Only 2 years?

6. shaunnyb

shaunnyb Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok just checked with extra 2 year warrenty I paid $2360 inc gst

7. kashing92

Reputations:
    Can't wait to get it too.

8. shaunnyb

shaunnyb Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yep.. I hear that! I actually had an alienware m14x r2 with really similar specs.. 16gb ram 512gb ssd 650m gpu etc. But it was just too heavy. . Im really looking forward to the new screen res. And giving my shoulder a break

9. lancorp

lancorp Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I was at Best Buy today, perusing their notebooks, and noticed the Lenovo Yoga. The specs/price sheets said QHD+, so I checked Windows 8.1 display settings and sure enough it was 3200x1800 (or something like that).
    Core i7, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD for $1149. Seems like the XPS model (understanding 15" vs 13") is much more expensive.

First impressions of the QHD+ display--I wasn't that impressed. I think it was just Windows 8.1 looking ugly that turned me off, but I truly wasn't WOW'd by what I expected to be extreme sharpness, etc The screen scaled nicely for the super high res,
    but to be honest, I think a 1080p screen would look just as good with Windows 8.1 (which is rather mono-colored and squarish anyways). Everything on the screen seemed normal size. I expected much more screen "real estate".

I suppose with some apps running showing off the true res and colors, I might be more impressed, but the retina display on my MBP seems as nice or nicer than the QHD+ display in the Yoga.

Is this the same display in the new XPS 15?

10. wickeddeus

wickeddeus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The new Yoga 2 does have QHD+ resolution but I'm not sure if it's the same IGZO display.