XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Simply you have to check your hardware ID for display in device management.
    This will answers to question who is the supplier of your display.
    In this moment IGZO technology seems an exclusive by Sharp, so I don't guess LG display uses it.
    Sharp display is a PPS (I don't know what exactly means) made with IGZO technology, instead LG display is a IPS display made with classic technology (TFT?).
    My speculation is that Sharp display is used on top tier model, so together to 91WHr battery.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 con Tapatalk 2

2. seancho

seancho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I haven't seen any evidence for any of this. IGZO dispay is a major Dell marketing point for these laptops. It doesn't make any sense that they would quietly switch to a completely different kind of panel. Plus, there is no mention anywhere on the net about an LG display with that part number, aside from references to this discussion. I think you're reading too much into that translated website review. But you are right, it is easy to verify. So I ask, again, is there anyone with an XPS 15 or M3800 with a display hardware id other than SHP13F8?

3. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I suppose you have already checked your display and it's Sharp model, may I ask you which version of XPS have you?

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 con Tapatalk 2

4. bookwurm

bookwurm Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think all these numbers refer to the same panel. On my precision M3800 HWinfo reports:
    Monitor Name: Sharp [Unknown Model: SHP13F8]
    Monitor Name (Manuf): LQ156Z1 [DELL P/N: 6RGW0]

5. agsg41

agsg41 Newbie

Reputations:
    On the other hand Dell explicitly advertises M3800 as having an IGZO display. Then, how could they put a non-IGZO LG display on same machine?

I believe I read somewhere about LG using IGZO in some of their display, perhaps this is one of them.

6. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I guess you have reason, I have the same info from HWinfo, maybe Notebookcheck has misunderstood this info.
    I had checked hardware ID directly in device management so I have only read SHP13F8.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-Precision-M3800-Workstation.110075.0.html

Instead on XPS15 review:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-XPS-15-9530-Late-2013-Notebook.107485.0.html

7. Crazysah

Crazysah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Either one of the top two models and no, I don't have a Discover card. :(

8. CW9272

CW9272 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For the last few days, I have been experiencing connection issues between my iPhone (personal hotspot via Wifi, USB works flawlessly) and my XPS.
    However, whenever I tried the trouble-shooting function for networks Windows 8 offers, I was able to access exactly one website after which Access to Internet would be lost (Connection between iPhone and Laptop is still available though Windows Claims it to be "limited").
    Reason according to Windows: Standardgateway not available.
    In the last hour I managed to solve the Problem by changing the power plan from "Dell" to "Performance" and then everything went as smooth as with my old Laptop (Dell Latitude D820). So it must somehow be hardware-related (perhaps energy saving Feature?!) correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks in advance..

9. ctafield

ctafield Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How do you take a screenshot in Windows 8.1? Usually you'd press the Print Screen button and it would save to your library. I can't get that working though. Closest I can get is the Airplane mode to switch off or on.... any ideas please?

10. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've had issues with my iPhone's personal hotspot using all kinds of laptops running several different versions of Windows. Looking at ipconfig, it seems to be caused by the default gateway only containing an IPv6 address sometimes. The fix is sometimes release and renew, though that doesn't always work. Rebooting the entire machine has been pretty reliable though. It's inconvenient, but it seems Apple may be to blame here. I seriously doubt the power plan fixed anything; I'm guessing that was just a coincidence.