XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. seancho

seancho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Disable driver signing and you can install the Synaptics driver. I ended up liking the Dell driver the best, even if it is lacking certain features.

How to Disable Driver Signature Verification on 64-Bit Windows 8.1 (So That You Can Install Unsigned Drivers)

2. seancho

seancho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Interesting development in the effort to fix scaling problems on Windows hidpi displays. I posted before about a new manifest hack that people are using to force Adobe apps to obey Windows scaling settings. This makes Adobe apps far more usable, even if it doesn't make them genuinely hidpi aware. It now appears that the same method can be applied to any program with scaling issues. If the program tells Windows not to scale, but it doesn't look right unscaled, tiny UI, etc, you can force it to allow Windows scaling.

What you do is, extract the application's manifest with a special program, alter the manifest to allow windows scaling and then save it as a text file in the application's install directory. Then change the registry to allow external manifest files. I'm trying it on all my "tiny-interface" problem apps. Definitely worth a shot if you are dealing with software that doesn't scale correctly.

Details are here. The last comment has the new method to apply the manifest hack to any program:

Hack makes Photoshop and Illustrator readable on Surface Pro

3. Gfresh404

Gfresh404 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can someone give me a Hardware ID on the 1080p version screen? You can get it by going into Device Manager > Monitors > Generic PnP Monitor > Properties > Details > Hardware Ids. Will rep

4. craigo81

craigo81 Notebook Geek

Reputations:

I wrote that post :) Hope for the best, although you may still run into odd glitches. I got Capture One working with it, except the optional Viewer window will randomly disappear off the screen when switching focus.

The best thing is to send feedback to the app developers so they know these problems exist.

5. buff171010

buff171010 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ordered the top spec one on 12/12 and it's shipped. Quick synapsis. I called 1/21 as the website said it was still in production but suppose to arrive 1/24. After getting transferred to multiple people I finally talked to someone. She said panels were arriving this past weekend and will overnight it because of the delay. When I checked online during the weekend it showed a delay to 2/24. This pissed me off but apparently their system is all screwed up. I should get it tomorrow. I have a question.
    -The laptop shipped from chicago and set to arrive in MN. It will have been in temps below 0 for a good duration of it's journey. Is there any concern with damage from the extreme cold to any part of the laptop?

Thanks for the help,
    jesse

6. hatchaxe

hatchaxe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    does anyone know why this is happening or have any recommendations?

7. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I seriously doubt it. First of all, the temperature of the laptop inside all of its packaging and shipping material (not to mention being inside the shipping facility/vehicle itself) means it likely won't be anywhere near outdoor temperature. And second, I've never heard of components having problems with being too cold. Extreme overclockers dump liquid nitrogen onto processors to achieve insanely high speeds, and that's WAAAY colder than 0. The only possible concern is that elements become more brittle the colder they get (if you've ever dipped something into liquid nitrogen and then dropped it on the floor to see it shatter, you know what I mean), so TECHNICALLY the laptop would be slightly more susceptible to impact damage when it's cold. But the liquid nitrogen example is a way more extreme example than the difference between room temperature and 0, and even this case assumes some incident that could cause damage in the first place, so I don't think you'll have any problem whatsoever.

Keep in mind that yours will hardly be the first piece of electronics ever to have been delivered when it's very cold outside. Imagine other countries where these temperatures occur far more regularly and through a much larger portion of the year. If that were a risk, the shipping companies would have already figured out how to manage it. :)

8. 5280wrx

5280wrx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No!!! I had the same exact original order date. I decided to cancel and settle for the mid tier purchased locally. The hard drive crashed the same day so I took it back. What you are saying means I could have had my top tier computer only a week late! I much prefer the SSD. I've looked around and can't find much else I like so I'll probably order again. They just changed the estimated ship date from March 24th to March 11th so things are moving. I just hope they get the quality control issues worked out. Wish I could help you on the cold but I have no idea.

9. ReidM

ReidM Newbie

Reputations:
    I also live in MN (Mahtomedi), mine left the Memphis TN FedEx hub on 1/20 and arrived on 1/22. It was a very cold machine when I got it, I just let it sit in the box and warm to room temp, no issues that I have seen. IMO they would not ship anything that could be damaged by cold in the manner they do....cargo holds on most planes are neither pressurized or heated, and most delivery trucks are not heated.

10. Zacpod

Zacpod Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Cold itself isn't an issue, BUT condensation is. If you unpack it and condensation forms on the screen (i.e. if the screen 'fogs' up) then do NOT power it up till it warms up to room temperature - it's very likely that the same condensation is forming inside the lappy as well, and you don't want to run power thru wet components.

It's unlikely that your home/office is humid enough to cause a problem though, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you see the screen fog up. If no fog forms then you're safe to power it up.