XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. ctafield

ctafield Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Got mine this week. Dell included the wrong power supply though so I didn't want to use it for the first few days. Still waiting on a replacement power supply (!) but in the meanwhile I bought an XPS 12 charger off ebay for £10 which seems to be doing the trick.

On the whole really pleased with it, but quite a few high DPI issues with the different apps I use. Chrome seems to be the worst offender. Had to disable Windows own HiDPI mode for it, and then enable Chrome's own one with the chrome://flags page.

Quite surprised that I don't mind the trackpad. I upgraded from an XPS L502X and I usually much prefer to have actual buttons on the trackpad, rather than an all in one solution (I had a Macbook Air and absolutely hated the trackpad). Seems to work OK on this though.

Games though - Really not pleased about them appearing in a small window when they're supposed to be full screen. Tried Batman Arkham Origins and Saints Row IV so far and both of them are the same. Does anyone know if there is a fix on the way for this?

2. wendelly

wendelly Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As far as I know, Intel Rapid Start requires a different size partition, as Intel clearly documents that you need a partition equal in size to the system memory for Intel Rapid Start to work i.e. 8GB is not sufficient. You can check this post Dell XPS 15 (9530) Flawed mSATA Setup - Laptop General Hardware Forum - Laptop - Dell Community for more details.

Personally, when I receive my mid-spec machine - I am still waiting :) - I intend to do the following:

- Clone all the partitions on the 1TB drive to a 1TB SSD (Samsung 840 EVO, a great SSD drive BTW) using Macrium Reflect; will verify I can boot and do normal things. I usually do this step to save some time, as I do not normally need the ultimate control that a clean install gives you
    - Follow the instructions in the above post; they look pretty straightforward and I will not need Rapid Storage, as it does not add anything appreciable to the user experience when you have a main SSD. However, I do like Rapid Start, as when it does work, it seems to work well. even with SSD onboard, and I would not want to "waste" the space on the 32GB mSATA drive

That way if I need more SSD storage in the future, I can replace the relatively small mSATA unit with something a bit more useful.

I will post back here once I have verified that these steps to re-size the Rapid Start partition actually work.

3. ZephirSt

ZephirSt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anybody uses or know of a good trackpad protector? I think I would use it since the discoloration bothers me quite a bit...

4. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you'll be installing an Evo, I'd remove the cache unit entirely. Rapid Start seems to have trouble resuming on this system (kind of a deal breaker IMHO) and it doesn't start any more rapidly anyway now that I've been testing regular hibernation. And Smart Response (not Rapid Storage as you mentioned, which is just the name of the driver) might even slow your system down since the cache unit might be slower than the Evo.

EDIT: Thinking about it, cloning may not even be possible since the 2.5" drive will technically be part of a RAID array with the cache module, so Macrium would see the two drives as one unit. So a clean install may be your only option, but I'd strongly recommend that anyway.

5. wendelly

wendelly Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice, appreciate it. Once I fire up Macrium on the unit, I will check to see what what it "sees" as the drives and then I can go from there. No biggie if I have to go the clean install route and certainly not hung up on using Rapid Start. I eagerly await my new laptop for sure!

6. woohoo7676

woohoo7676 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the same issue with the non-full screen games. I believe the problem is with the Intel drivers - there's no proper display scaling mode when you're at 3200x1800 (and since optimus goes through the intel card, it's always an issue). The workaround I came up with was to install this: HotKey Resolution Changer Toggles Your Monitor Settings with a Key Stroke which basically switches your resolution with a hotkey. I set 3200x1800 to Ctrl-Shift-H (for high) and 1920x1080 for Ctrl-Shift-L (for low), and I just toggle to 1920x1080 before I play a game.

A little inconvenient, but it works. Also I think at anything besides 3200x1800 the drivers will scale properly, so just switch to any lower res before gaming, then switch back to 3200 afterwards. Hope that helps!

ctafield likes this.
  7. InHouston

InHouston Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone seen a review of the new XPS 13 Haswell touchscreen yet?

8. ReidM

ReidM Newbie

Reputations:
    Check out the Zagg Shield line of products, Best Buy and computer stores should have them. I bought one intended for a tablet, mostly so I would have extra material to work with, and just cut it to fit and put it on the touchpad (dry, did not wet it). Works fine.

9. ReidM

ReidM Newbie

Reputations:
    When updating drivers off the Dell site I accidentally installed the FHD Touch Panel Firmware Update rather than the QHD+. The version numbers are the same, and when I tried to install the QHD+ driver it stated that it was already installed.
    I have not noticed any performance differences. Do I need to do anything about this or am I good to go?

10. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The updater file that gets extracted is the exact same size regardless of which you download. If you want to confirm that they are in fact identical, run a hash checker on each. If the hashes match you're fine. If not, you may have installed the wrong firmware, but I'm not sure what you could do about it at this point.