XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are you talking of that for L521x?

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 con Tapatalk 2

2. nikbert

nikbert Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Received my Costco XPS top tier a couple days back. Looks good so far - haven't had much time to use it. hear minor whine, don't see anything else major. dell update doesn't work... keeps crashing.. after i rec'd my xps, got an email from costco support stating there is a delay and dell site showed in production... lol

QQ for other costco buyers, did your xps ship with usb network adapter and usb recovery disk? mine didn't. Also, can I get this for free from dell.

Thanks.

ps: system looks great, so far (cross my fingers) no major issues except for that stupid whine

3. Seblock

Seblock Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How can you get a Network Adapter free from Dell? I thought they are selling for $25? @.@

4. nikbert

Reputations:
    hi jphughan - i have the top spec (16gb/512gb) as above and have similar partitions - however i don't want the rapid start and want to keep the recovery partition (considering that dell didn't include the usb recovery with my package), what other partitions can i safely delete? also, do you know what is the 490mb recovery partition for?

Thanks a lot for all your help in this forum!

5. nikbert

Reputations:
    My bad then - I thought they were bundling it with retail units and not with costco units. Maybe they're bundling it with m3800. Sounds like a poor decision on Dell's part on not including network port or adapter for a premium product.

Thanks!

6. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can PM me a screenshot of your Computer Management > Disk Management screen so I can see the sequence of the partitions? The 490MB Recovery Partition is probably the WinRE partition which is required, but normally only 300. Dell might have added some extra tools to it or something.

The USB Win8.1 installer can be obtained for free from Dell by calling Customer Support. The USB network dongle is only included for free on the M3800 -- but it's a USB 2.0 unit anyway, so unless PXE booting is important to you, I'd buy a third-party USB 3.0 unit. I have one from StarTech that includes a USB 3.0 passthrough port so you don't lose a port by having the LAN adapter connected.

7. krayziehustler

krayziehustler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think its the same one but it fits the 9530 like a glove. Like it was made for this one and not the 521. I had the 521 and this would be a very tight fit for that one but its perfect for this model imo

8. rplst8

rplst8 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks... I figured as much.

I've had the fail to resume properly problems too.

What's the best way to get rid of rapid start without breaking anything? I guess I'll still have an unusable 8GB partition no matter what. I guess I could format it and mount it to a subfolder of the NTFS C drive. Why would Dell configure it this way?

9. matthiasdeblaiser

matthiasdeblaiser Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  10. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Without breaking anything, disable Rapid Start either in the BIOS or the app inside Windows, then uninstall the app. Then you can delete the partition. Unfortunately there's no ideal way to place the Rapid Start partition if you also want to keep the factory restore partition. For example, placing it between the OS and factory restore partitions would've created a problem if you upgraded your RAM and needed to extend the Rapid Start partition. I guess they could have put the factory restore partition before the OS partition, but then people who don't care about that partition couldn't reclaim that space for their OS. There's no way to please everyone.

Personally I always do a clean install so I never care about the factory restore option.