XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. hatchaxe

hatchaxe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i completely forgot how to switch the FN keys, the first day while exploring the settings somewhere it allowed me to set what the FN keys will do, like whether the f1 f2 keys will defualt of the other ones. i cant find that setting again, can anyone guide me?

2. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Take your pick:

1. Windows Mobility Center
    2. The F-Lock key on the keyboard (Fn-Esc)
    3. BIOS Setup

3. shimsim

shimsim Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Spot on almost identical situation, overall this laptop has been a great buy, not perfect, but the pros heavily out-way the cons, and to be fair I have never seen a laptop that is perfect.

My hinges are also offset, but in the opposite bias to yours, perhaps there is some way to adjust them, but not tried anything yet. I also have the pressure point bottom right side, but I am going to live with this for now. I have 3 years cover and don't really want to start messing around with replacements just yet.

My biggest grip has nothing to do with the hardware, this screen is a double edged sword. It amazing to have this resolution and workspace, but with the lack of real support from so many apps, my eyes are feeling the strain.

4. skillit

skillit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

bump.. check it out guys~ for the owners who haven't seen this . more assurance, less crasy skillit aha :p

also have you guys ever gotten this message when u plugged in ur ac adapter? something like "this adapter doesn't support your system, please put in right one or ur system will perform slower "

5. hatchaxe

hatchaxe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ah yes it was mobility center

6. skillit

skillit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

my touchscreen works on and off, is there a fix to this?

7. mastabog

mastabog Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Many thanks, once again; haven't seen you replied here too (see my PM re an aspect of your reply).

Indeed I'm one of those who doesn't accept throttling as normal. It would also be a complete deal breaker for me given my intended usage. The good thing is that during most of my simulations, even when pushing all 4 cores, the power consumption is below that of AIDA64 or Intel XTU stress tests (which are already much below Prime95). Also, I don't play games but will be using the GPGPU, yet more often alone than coupled with high CPU usage. So there is hope it won't throttle. The following worries me though ...

To everyone:

Some reported that the XPS15 gets hot when held on their lap even at idle. How many of you experience that? I've seen the NotebookCheck revie3w of the XPS15, and I must admit, the idle temps weren't impressive :( ... might the M3800 get lower idle temps (is the Quadro cooler at idle than the Geforce)?

I'm a little worried about the above (I like working with my laptop on my lap).

8. matthiasdeblaiser

matthiasdeblaiser Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I might not yet have received my mid tier, but I can tell you this is perfectly normal.
    Honestly, how many guys do you need telling you this is normal...?:rolleyes:

Every touch device I own, has these patterns... on my aging Asus TF101 they're extremely visible, on my newer Note 10.1 2014 and SGS4A a lot less... The type of pattern also differs depending on the manufacturer

Once again, this is perfectly normal ;)
    Though it should never be visible under normal circumstances (sunlight hitting your screen directly is NOT a normal circumstance)

About the adapter, I have had this with other laptops. This means you're using an adapter that's not powerfull enough. You should not have this problem with the supplied adapter, or something's wrong with it.

9. krayziehustler

krayziehustler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    the one from Dell is magnificent. Great leather material and fits it like a glove

10. w3thax

w3thax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great. But where can I buy it? The representative in the chat of Dell Germany told me it isn't even in there system but only in description of the XPS 15. :(