XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. teh_crab

teh_crab Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is slightly worrying as I am waiting for a replacement display panel for a replacement (the 1st replacement is great, no more dust/dead pixels BUT no touch-screen).

However it WAS working prior on the original screen after I clean Windows 8.1 format, but then I've gone and installed the touch firmware the other night in anticipation for the replacement - now I'm worried...

2. bneslsc

bneslsc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just received my replacement device this morning. I pull it out of it's box.. box clipping IN the wrapping of the device. Not too happy about that. Then I open the laptop and turn it on. The screen is WAY more colorful than my current XP15, like the colors are REALLY more vibrant (is that a good thing?). Thankfuly there is no dead pixels from what I can see. How do I test for that? Also, my replacement has a LOUDER whine then my original machine!!! What the hell is up with that!?!?!? I notice that the memory sticks of each laptop has a different manufacturer. My laptop without the whine, it's RAM is manufactured by Samsung. The replacement WITH the whine, it's RAM is manufactured by "1311"? The whine sound is coming from the touchpad?

However after about 3 hours of updating with drivers and installing software. The computer freezes and the restarts, coming up with the message that there is no hard drive detected. I power off, restart etc. No result. I call Dell and they say the harddrive has probably dislodged? I was fuming? This replacement wasn't 3 hours old. I requested a new replacement and they said no as it can easily be fixed with a technician coming over and firming it in.

My concen is, how on earth did this happen to a BRAND new laptop!?!? I mean what else did they mess up with it? Also, am I being paranoid that there could be damage to the SSD if it was working on data and updating in Windows 8.1 while it "dislodged" while stationary. I'm more concerned about potential data loss down the path than concern for the actual laptop.

Would really appreciate your input guys as I'm worried now.

3. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My situation is very unhappy, Dell Customer service seems a joke.

Customer service seems placed in Eastern Europe while Technical service seems locate in North Africa, this would not be a problem if everything was working as it should.

I have discovered something that seems a stain on the notebook cover, I have dead pixels issue too.
    I ask to Dell for a replacement, but it seems that they just want to gain time to reach the end of my return period.

I have spoken to technical service for dead pixels issue, so they wanted pictures of screen to evidence the problem (I have to say that it's very difficult to take picture to dead pixels, because the screen is a source of light, the dead pixels are tiny and my hands while are taking a picture are not stabilized :) )

But after a day with no response I have recalled them.

I have spoken with customer service for the stain issue (I had not notice it before of the first call),
    Again request of new pictures of the XPS15 cover and its shipping box, so my call was moved to technical service, it seems that the technician had not yet seen the pictures that I had sent to him, so I have referred of the stain so he has suggested to me that was better to use my right to return the notebook, so him moved my call again to customer service.
    Customer service has open a practice for me, but now 3 days are gone without any communication.
    This afternoon I will call them to have some news, if they have no news I will send my communication for return, because tomorrow is my last day of return period.

4. M_Bos

M_Bos Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Chances are you have "splendid" color mode enabled. As for testing for dead pixels, a Google search for "test for dead pixels" turns up a lot of methods.

Still hoping for some input on the screen ghosting - anyone?

5. seancho

seancho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure I downloaded the wrong firmware file. I didn't notice until later. It installed just fine, everything works as it should and when I tried to install the other firmware, the installer said the latest firmware was already installed. I think the two installers are identical.

6. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have just received a call by Dell that has confirmed the replacement of notebook... :thumbsup:

I guess I'll have to wait a long time before to see the replacement given the times announced on Dell website, the customer service has said that will be placed a new order with max priority.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 con Tapatalk 2

7. zakazak

zakazak www.whymacsucks.com

Reputations:
    That sounds really bad :/ How did u check for "dead pixels" ?

8. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have used Notepad in full screen mode, so basically it's a white screen, I know it's a barbarian way but works, so I put my face near to the screen to check dead pixels and every time I found a dark point I have tried to clean it and if the cleaning had no success meant that I had found a dead pixels or dust under the glass.

9. holdinon

holdinon Newbie

Reputations:
    I just want to thank everyone that has contributed to this thread over the past few months. I've been lurking but following closely.

Was hoping for some kind of decent discount after the holidays and new year, but once I saw that the mid-tier shipping date got pushed out to March, I decided on Sunday that I wouldn't save much $ by waiting a few weeks longer. I noticed that newegg still had the midtier in stock for $1,899. They don't charge sales tax in my state so that saved me $150 alone vs ordering from Dell. Not to mention the fact that it would ship right away so no need to wait until early-mid March. I weighed the risk of not getting the full Dell support if I had any problems and decided to take the plunge with newegg.

Another bonus is they were offering a "combo" discount if you buy a permanent license for Microsoft Office. there was a $20 "combo" discount plus another $20 "instant savings" discount that showed up in my cart automatically (and unexpectedly). I would have bought it for $139 if I didn't go through newegg so I saved another $40 there vs buying from Dell or if I had gotten it online from Microsoft.

The best part is I wasn't in a huge rush to get my computer so I opted for the 4-7 business day free "eggsaver" shipping rather than pay for the 3-day, 2-day or overnight shipping fees. Despite that, I placed my order online sunday, it shipped monday and I received it at 10am tuesday, essentially one day shipping for free. I probably lucked out due to my proximity to the NJ warehouse that it was shipped from, but overall this really worked out good for me.

I spent all of last night setting it up and so far I'm really happy overall. Not a fan of the touchpad, especially that the left click is part of the pad so it makes it really easy to hover over a small item and try to click it and have the pointer shift and accidentally click a random ad by the time the click registered, but I'm getting used to it. Windows 8 is taking some getting used to as well but I think I'm going to like it.

thanks again all. I'll try to use the wiki for any issues that come up, but I suspect I'll be visiting this forum with a question or two once I spend a bit more time with it.

10. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why would you install a firmware update on a panel that's about to be replaced? The firmware lives in the panel itself, so after you get the display replaced (unless it comes with the new firmware) you'll just have to install it again.