XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. mheuer818

mheuer818 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. afOstermann

afOstermann Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So excited about XPS15. Cant wait for it.

3. krayziehustler

krayziehustler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Then you don't get the much improved Boot Times, File History, new/faster/better File Explorer, Power User Menu, more keyboard shortcuts than W7, faster indexing and search for app/docs/settings than W7, overall speed, better with games (many videos on utube to verify for your fav game) and etc....

Also 8.1 adds even more to that list, with new lock screen, improved Start menu, integrated PC settings, improved and increased Snap app features, built in help app now, Smart Search, can boot to desktop now, deeper sky drive integration, and updates for all Metro apps..etc.

In the words of Paul Thurrott, "the improvements Microsoft has added to the desktop side of Windows 8, you’ll discover that Windows 8 is a bigger improvement over Windows 7 than was that OS over Vista. Mull that one over for a second, then drop your preconceptions and misguided biases. It’s true."

4. mynameissancho

mynameissancho Newbie

Reputations:
    How have you been able to get it for that price! Cheapest I've been able to get it is 1664 with the replacement for the old EPP stuff

5. weewyum

weewyum Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I used the 10% VIP voucher. I tried my luck at haggling but the rep barely knew coherent English and kept linking me to the VIP page so I figured 10% was a pretty good reduction anyway! You need to be a student/employee but they did not ask me for proof, however someone in the other thread said he was phoned to supply proof of his student status. Could try your luck.

6. johnyguy

johnyguy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i agree i just got s W8 machine and i was going to install W7 but its not as bad as ppl make it seem like at all i had to adjust things around but after all its fine i dont use the touch screen at all and its works, the W8.1 made it even better. easy to learn.

7. maveric101

maveric101 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That guy reviewing the M3800 put up pictures including ones of the internals. One thing I noticed is that the USB ports near the Wifi card seem to have some sort of shielding over them:

http://www.appstate.edu/~taylorsa1/m3800/7.jpg
    http://www.appstate.edu/~taylorsa1/m3800/8.jpg

Intel has a paper out there somewhere about how USB 3.0 can cause interference problems with 2.4 GHz wifi when not properly shielded. It always seemed likely to me that this was at least one of the reasons for the L521X's wifi issues, as people reported much better performance with a 5 GHz signal. If that's the case, it seems they may have fixed it this go-round.

Edit: Here's the paper:
    http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...al-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html

spybenj likes this.
  8. abstein2

abstein2 Newbie

Reputations:
    Can the XPS 15 output to both the DisplayPort and the HDMI output at the same time? I'm really interested in getting one, but I need to make sure I'll be able to drive my two U2713HMs and I'd need it to output on both ports to pull that off (with a little custom resolution trickery, I believe).

9. maveric101

maveric101 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm not sure (my guess would be no), but it seems that DisplayPort 1.2 can drive multiple monitors:

DisplayPort - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. abstein2

abstein2 Newbie

Reputations:
    You can daisychain off of it, but the problem with the HM version of the monitor is that it doesn't have the DisplayPort out to do that with. Given the resolution of the monitors, my only options look like buying a new monitor or spending a few hundred dollars on a Club 3D box that only seems to exist in not-America. Right now I solve all this via an EPort dock on my Latitude, but I really want that QHD+ screen.