XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. tricky76

tricky76 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    im wondering if your solutions a few posts up might play a role in what ive got going on...I will give it a shot, but can you expand on the second point: the properties of the output device...matching up...?? id like to try this tonight as I will be watching the same shows from the same download batch

thanks jp, as always

2. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In Control Panel > Sound, double-click the output option corresponding to the HDMI port (it may show up as Intel HDMI or perhaps the TV/receiver itself). Go to the Advanced tab and play around with the Default Format option. Obviously the higher you go, the better your audio can sound, but not all devices support everything (though I've seen at least some devices actually report what they can handle, in which case you'll only see options that would actually work.) Also note that this won't magically make your audio sound better; I don't believe this setting upsamples lower-quality audio, it merely prevents downsampling of high-resolution audio as long as it isn't above the Default Format selection. Of course if you don't have any high-resolution audio in the first place, it won't matter, but if you do, set it to the maximum resolution your output device will support.

tricky76 likes this.
  3. ZephirSt

ZephirSt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For the screen resizing there is an apposite option in the Intel HD graphic app. From that you can resize the output screen, in width and length.

For the audio, I played a lot before posting and didn't solve anything. So I started watching the movie with the video on the TV and the audio from the laptop. After a while, since I had to set 100% volume to have it clear and decent, I decided to use my earphones in order not to ruin the speakers. The moment I plugged them in, all audio of the movie (played with VLC) went away from every possible output. I tried to unplug, play with setting, but nothing. So I tried to unplug and plug the hdmi again, and from that moment no problems at all with the audio and video from the TV.

I really don't understand what happened there, but now everything seems to work fine.

4. J D A

J D A Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    2 months? That's ridiculous. If it says it won't ship till April at the start of February, I'll just wait for the Y50.

Is Dell really still suffering from shortages of Sharp's displays or are they just slow to build???

Sent from my dlx using Tapatalk

5. nikbert

nikbert Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, anyone who has ordered from costo.com early-mid December, started receiving their xps yet? I ordered mine Dec 10th and costco just says order received. Is there a way to get order status from Dell directly?

Waiting anxiously - thanks!

6. dgently

dgently Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have no news on delivery yet, but you can get the Dell status by asking for the PO number from Costco, and then going to the orderstatus of dell and filling in the form with Costco as company name (at lease for Costco Canada).
    I ordered mine on the 7th of December, and the delivery date state 27th of Jan, hope it get here before then....

7. devize

devize Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

8. kingchris

kingchris Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Has anyone risked an outlet one yet? Top model in the UK outlet (512GB etc) is £1,281.61

Tempted.

9. zakazak

zakazak www.whymacsucks.com

Reputations:
  10. UU_Ng

UU_Ng Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

I wish to ask why in my bios the Intel Rapid Storage Technology is disabled, I can't switch to enable?

this happen after I formatted and reinstall window in my laptop, I used a window 8.1 CD to install.

photo.jpg