XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. teh_crab

teh_crab Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh you most certainly probably did, and I made the assumption that all SSDs would be one size - silly me :D!

With regards to your above post re-Windows 8.1 and backing it up - I was simply asking how to get a copy now that DVDs are no longer provided (given the fact I am replacing the HDDs, and won't be able to restore from their super secret hidden partitions haha). I care not for 'cloning' the exact state - but simply having a copy of the stock standard Windows 8.1, is that a possibility as you have said? Is that this Rescue USB/CD you made mention of - I assume its a simple program from within Program Files?

Thanks as always jp!

2. zakazak

zakazak www.whymacsucks.com

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick reply.

This is how my partitions look like:
    http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/5125/partition05.jpg

What can I remove and what is everything anyway?

Tbh my driver routine is a bit different and follows the experiences I made with windows (check my signature for the tutorial if u want):

From Intel I downloaded and installed the latest:
    Chipset driver
    HD4600 igpu driver
    Intel Rapid Storafe Technology driver + software
    Wireless driver

From NVIDIA:
    dGPU driver (including driver,physx and hd audio)

From dell:
    Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Platform (I installed both files.. the update package was installed as second).
    Cardreader
    motionsensor
    nfc

I didn't install anything else since everything else seems to be installed/working (bluetooth driver installed already, dont need wlan/bt software, fn buttons already work, etc). I also don't understand why anyone would ever need to install some touchpad driver when the windows generic driver works just fine.

Since the fresh windows 8.1 installation coil whine seems to be a lot louder. It sounds like I have an HDD constantly writing/reading when charging.

3. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The recovery drive doesn't store an image or allow you to reinstall Windows; it includes tools like Command Prompt, Startup Repair, System Restore, and System Image Restore (just the tool, not the image) in order to diagnose problems that might prevent Windows from booting. But if you want to create such a drive, enter "Create recovery drive" into the Start search prompt.

In terms of reinstalling Windows, you have a few options, none especially convenient:

1. Call Dell and have them ship you a free a bootable Windows 8.1 installer on a USB flash drive.
    2. If you have access to someone's RETAIL Windows 8.1 key, use it to download the ISO from Microsoft (you can then of course activate with your own). Microsoft in their infinite wisdom decided not to all OEM keys to work on their portal; maybe they don't want people with OEM keys using their bandwidth.
    3. If you have access to an MSDN subscription, download the installer there.
    4. Or do what I did: Find a clean torrent. Ironically the torrent was even better than anything Microsoft offered, since it's a single installer that lets you install Core, Pro, AND Enterprise (and even the K and N versions of each!), whereas Microsoft's AT BEST allow you to install only Core and Pro, and the ones downloaded from their retail upgrade page are single-edition only. It's sad that the pirates are delivering higher-quality and lower-frustration solutions than Microsoft now, but I used the torrent media to install my perfectly legitimate copy of Windows 8.1 and it worked like a charm.

4. swordofsilence

swordofsilence Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for your help. I first turned on GPU-Z, which forced the GPU to be turned on. I then ran the Hard Reset benchmark with HWiNFO running in logging mode and it appears the GPU went even above the normal 941 MHz (see attached TXT file, this website wouldn't let me upload the file in CSV or XLS format, for some reason - if you can get it into Excel, I saw the GPU clock in column BL). There must be some issue in how MSI afterburner is capturing GPU clock speed. At least now I know my system isn't throttling.

Attached Files:

5. m4600

m4600 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You must be running 32-bit software. Only 64-bit programs can take advantage of bigger RAM. 32-bit programs can't use more than 4GB. Most are limited to 2GB. This is a limitation of the 32-bit CPU architecture.

See if there is a 64-bit version of your program available.

6. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That crossed my mind as well, but I didn't post that idea since it seems others are playing Dota 2 without issue, so that plus the fact that it's a relatively recent game led me to assume it was 64-bit. But possibly not, I guess!

7. tricky76

tricky76 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can anyone help with this? I got this screen while doing nothing on the machine, and it stayed this way for 2 hours, remaining at 0% complete, until I did a hard reset.

error.jpg

8. tricky76

tricky76 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    lately, ive been watching downloaded torrent videos directly from the machine using hdmi connected to my panosonic 50", i used to burn the shows onto a cd using external drive, but ran out of cd's and figured that was a waste of money anyway..but playing the videos on laptop using hdmi, i get audio.visual errors 100% of the time, usually in the first 4 minutes of a 1 hour show, i will lose picture completely for about 4 seconds...then about halfway through the show, i lose audio only for about 5 seconds. i use windows media player

odd

9. Zoomsday

Zoomsday Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I remember this is exactly what they said a month ago when they announced the availability of 840 EVO mSATA.

10. ajax-jp

ajax-jp Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    DOTA 2 is a 32 bit app and there is no 64 bit version. This is certainly not an issue related to DOTA itself. The requirements for that game are nothing impressive. Like I said, I can play DOTA for hours and not have problems. I did so last night even..